Page updated on 04-23-2018

HydroLock (Yeah i tried searching)

A9SecondSleeper
01-08-2005, 01:10 PM
Yeah, i tried searching, but all i could find was "if i get the cai, will i hydrolock?" Well i was wondering what the symptoms of the hydrolock were. I drive a 97 accord EX auto with a crappy CAI that i bought off ebay (i'm rice beyotch) I live in cali, and its been having some freak weather, like 8 days of rain where it normally has 0 days of rain. I can't just sit at home the whole time. So i went driving, on the freeway, for a few hours.
The plastic bottom underneath the CAI fell out a few weeks ago, i guess i didnt put it back on right. Well water just kinda flew up, hit the filter, and like.. caused my engine to lose power in the rpms above 2500. Lose power as in: it wont go that high. i pulled off the freeway, stopped, and turned off the engine. I see the filter like.. dripping water onto the road, so i guess it got filled w/ water. I waited for 15 minutes, then started it up again. It starts up fine, but whenever i stopped at a stop light, the car kinda just.. shook around.
Then i thought, oh shizzle, i better get home. So on the way home, the engine stops, and i'm screwed. I jump the car, and its fine again, but it still has this rumbling feeling every once in a while.
Have i done any permanent damage to my car, even though it still runs?

SenseiAccord
01-09-2005, 09:10 PM
when u hydrolock ur engine still just stall like when u were learning to first drive stick. Water or any liquid doesnt compress like how air is. u kno how an engine works right? piston movie up and down blah blah blah. well anyway when u hydrolock instead of air going into the cylinders water goes in and if enough gets in it will fill the cylinders with water and since water doesnt compress then the pistons wont be able to do its compression stroke and just stall. Since pistons move so fast and something has to pop so it would most likely blow a hole thru the rings, pistons, sleeves, valves, headgasket, blah blah blah. rain does nothing to ur engine. its good in a way b/c if light amounts of water get in the engine it will raise compression a lil more and i guess can create a "steam clean" and burn off light amounts of carbon deposites. only thing to do to test for damage is to compression test each cylinder.

Ehscrewdude
01-18-2005, 07:07 AM
I agree, you're just lucky you didn't get ur engine submerged. A bypass valve is definitely a good thing to have, just in case. If u don't have one, You'll be sorry when your engine locks up, but if u do, thats one less thing you have to worry about...

92lx
01-18-2005, 02:05 PM
get a compression check done, and allow the car to run for a while (just idling) to get itself nicely back to normal.

- Nathan

SenseiAccord
01-19-2005, 12:37 AM
I agree, you're just lucky you didn't get ur engine submerged. A bypass valve is definitely a good thing to have, just in case. If u don't have one, You'll be sorry when your engine locks up, but if u do, thats one less thing you have to worry about...

yes i agree... a bypass valve is a good thing to have if u have the money or willing to spend the money for it. At least u have some kind of safety just in case u underestimate the puddles. If you are chang like me you wouldnt buy one and just make sure u dont go in a puddle to submerge ur whole filter.

Oh yea i would also change ur oil.... if u did hydrolock ur engine most likely water contaminated ur oil cuz ur piston rings arent fully leak proof.

oh yea i was just reading my last post and i have a lot of miss spelt words and some sentences dont make sense. sorry 'bout that.

Smeee
02-01-2005, 12:38 PM
Yeah, i tried searching, but all i could find was "if i get the cai, will i hydrolock?" Well i was wondering what the symptoms of the hydrolock were. I drive a 97 accord EX auto with a crappy CAI that i bought off ebay (i'm rice beyotch) I live in cali, and its been having some freak weather, like 8 days of rain where it normally has 0 days of rain. I can't just sit at home the whole time. So i went driving, on the freeway, for a few hours.
The plastic bottom underneath the CAI fell out a few weeks ago, i guess i didnt put it back on right. Well water just kinda flew up, hit the filter, and like.. caused my engine to lose power in the rpms above 2500. Lose power as in: it wont go that high. i pulled off the freeway, stopped, and turned off the engine. I see the filter like.. dripping water onto the road, so i guess it got filled w/ water. I waited for 15 minutes, then started it up again. It starts up fine, but whenever i stopped at a stop light, the car kinda just.. shook around.
Then i thought, oh shizzle, i better get home. So on the way home, the engine stops, and i'm screwed. I jump the car, and its fine again, but it still has this rumbling feeling every once in a while.
Have i done any permanent damage to my car, even though it still runs?

holly shit! This guy talks just like me!!...........:rofl:, anyway yea i just got a AEM CAI from a friend and he had cut it to put in a bypass valve but he just never put one in, and haa i aint plannin on driving through any rivers anytime soon soo i am thinkin fuuuuug that! Anyway im with everyone else on doing a compresssion test. At least get a clue as to wtf is going on....

Add your comment to this topic!