2001 silverado dash lights wont come on

mudduck
01-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Recently installed new radio and power amp. After installing everything works great now my dash lights want work. Checked all the fuses and made sure no wires were cut or shorted out. Pulled out the instrument panel and checked the bulbs they all appear to be good. Seat belt, shifting, oil pressure, comp displ all come on but no lights. I'm in the dark here!!!

silveradoman
01-08-2005, 04:55 PM
You didnīt say if you checked the dimmer to see if you moved it by accident...

chuck16
01-10-2005, 12:21 PM
Or your ebrake just down a notch?

legend801
12-18-2008, 10:09 PM
hey i am having the same problem wondering i you ever fixed it and no the dimmer isn't down and no my ebake isn't enguaged

rockwood84
12-18-2008, 11:41 PM
grounds hooked up to the cluster? if so check the relay/fuse box for a cluster fuse.

legend801
12-19-2008, 10:22 AM
thats what is not making any sense as all the fuses from the illumination and dash cluster are good and i pulled all my dash apart last night to check bulbs and everything else, but to no avail i can't think of anything else other then something to do with the radio i installed but it was working with the other (after market) radio i had in it.. and the other thing is that all my gauges still work they just don't light up as well as my heater/ac lights..

j cAT
12-19-2008, 10:37 AM
did you install the radio interface connector ? unless you have a diagram and you hacked the radio wiring by not using the connector this is usually the cause...and as such not recommended...unless you are a skilled wiring/electrical person...the connector is for DIY types..

legend801
12-19-2008, 12:09 PM
not quite following you.. i installed it my self but i am, well i like to think i know what i'm doing. As i have done a few with no problems.. maybe just pull it all apart and re-do it?

j cAT
12-19-2008, 02:48 PM
not quite following you.. i installed it my self but i am, well i like to think i know what i'm doing. As i have done a few with no problems.. maybe just pull it all apart and re-do it?

I would with the use of a meter identify all the wires...and with all the wires removed from radio unit see if the dash lamps work..if not use meter and check fuses and you most likely will find the problem..

then with all the wires identified you should be able to install the radio properly...

sometimes if the radio power on feed wire is connected to the dash lamps feed this will occur...this is just one example but common..

legend801
12-19-2008, 03:45 PM
sounds good i will check that all tonight after i get off work to see if it works, thanks.

legend801
12-19-2008, 07:55 PM
Well got some really good new some good news and some bad news...

First stopped in at my local Autozone and had some Silverstar lights on clearance to make room for the new ones marked down to 26 bucks.. went to ring em up and $$ 5 bucks!?!?!:biggrin: i got a new set of high bright Silverstars for under 6 bucks!!

Second.. found my problem to my dash lights..:banghead: the dimmer switch went out.

Third now i got to spend 60+ $$ on a new one:headshake.. oh well got new headlights for 5 bucks!

hope that helps in the future!

j cAT
12-20-2008, 12:55 PM
remember the dimmer may have been damaged by the hook up....so be sure its not overloaded...

legend801
12-23-2008, 05:39 PM
j cat,
the only reason i do not believe it is the stereo is because it was workin with the after market stereo in it and nothing changed from the old aftermarket to the new one same deck just my cd reader went out in it so i got a new one but i did check the wires reguardless and they were all hooked up but one rear speaker wire.. but reconnected and no problems yet :)

scxy7
06-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Recently installed new radio and power amp. After installing everything works great now my dash lights want work. Checked all the fuses and made sure no wires were cut or shorted out. Pulled out the instrument panel and checked the bulbs they all appear to be good. Seat belt, shifting, oil pressure, comp displ all come on but no lights. I'm in the dark here!!!
On your new radio wire harness, there was an orange wire marked illumination. When your head lights go on this wire becomes energized, and shorts out your dimmer switch. You need to remove this wire or cover it, then replace the dimmer switch. Or you can take apart the dimmer switch like I did and solder the two damaged spots on the board.

Add your comment to this topic!