Page updated on 06-19-2018

what's needed to fix tranny?

jayron
01-08-2005, 10:49 AM
I really need help please. Ihave a 98 ram 1500 4x4 5.9 and I can't go forward. I was driving on the road and the trans temp light came on. I let it cool down and later tried driving home from wokr. The light didn't come on but the forward drive just stopped. I can go in reverse, ( and had to so that I could be found on a major cross road) but I have no forward motion. I want to try to rebuild it if thats what it needs, but I don't know what parts to get, or where to get them. I think the tranny is a A518 46re. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, jason

indyram
01-09-2005, 12:18 AM
Well unless you have a lot of experience and the equipment it isn't worth it. You should be able to take it to any tranny repair shop and they can diagnose it for you and make sure that is the problem. If you get the gears even a little off it won't be pretty. Most places now check measurments with a computer.

RexNfx400
01-09-2005, 03:59 AM
As a transmission guy. I would say "its smoked" Unless, of course, you were explaining the problem wrong. Which is why a transmission person should, at least, check it out. But, it sounds like either the low roller clutch(broken case) or the forward clutch has went out. These don't usually burn clutch packs unless ran low on ATF or maybe forward drum has cracked.

Did you shock load it? (Nuetral Drop)???

jayron
01-13-2005, 08:57 PM
Thanks for your reply and tranny help.I will probably just find one at a salvage lot instead. Thanks, jayron.

jayron
01-13-2005, 09:02 PM
Thanks for your help. I do wheel it preety hard off road. I even jumped it on accident a few days before. But the fluid was never low. Guess I just visit a salvage lot. Thanks. jayron

Add your comment to this topic!