Page updated on 10-18-2017

94 Probe GT dies

Probe47374
01-07-2005, 03:50 PM
I have a 94 Probe GT, approximately 85,000 miles. It sat for approximately 1&1/2 yrs when we acquired it. I had the oil changed & a new fuel filter put on. It starts fine in the morning, but after driving it awhile (sometimes less than 5 min), the check engine light will come on (sometimes it stays on, sometimes it goes out) and then shortly thereafter it will die - doesn't matter how fast I'm going - it just dies. Sometimes if I keep my foot on the gas it will start back up but dies again. It will then turn over, but not start. Sometimes it has to sit for 5 minutes, other times it has to sit for longer (30 min or longer). I took it to a mechanic and he can't find out what is wrong. He said he checked the fuel pump relay and it isn't that.... Any ideas? I worry that since I'm a woman, who knows very little about cars, I will get taken at the repair shop. Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks so much!

blindfoldedhope
01-08-2005, 12:48 PM
Fuel pump?

venom3230
01-08-2005, 10:35 PM
Hey ....I just went thru the same thing as I am finding out that many others have too. You might want to check the igniter in the distributor.Those things go bad alot in the 93's and 94's. The reason why the car starts after a while is because the resistor inside the distributor has a thermal breakdown and resets itself after awhile. Get it replaced if that is your problem because it will eventually have a complete breakdown to where the car won't start at all. Be prepared....it is costly to repair the sensors or modules in the distributor......unless you know a good mechanic that can perform a little modification to the distributor.

locknloadx
05-15-2005, 05:20 PM
I have a question... where, in the 94 Probe GT did your mechanic find the Fuel Pump Relay? I looked on ALLDATA for the fuse box diagram for the car, and its showing that there should be a Fuel Pump Relay in the fusebox under the hood, near the Start Relay and D.R.L. Relay, but when I look under the hood of MY car, the diagram on my fusebox isnt showing a spot for it. Where by chance, did your mechanic find the fuel pump relay at?

Trosmom
05-20-2005, 10:32 PM
I have a couple of distributors if anyone needs them. Also other parts.

Add your comment to this topic!