Looking At Buying Dodge Ram (Pro's & Con's?)

Neonbee
01-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Hi Gang,
I could really use your help........
I'm looking at buying a used pick-up.
I have never owned on in my life before. I'm 43 yrs old and just bought a cottage in the north country here in Canada and need a vehicle for hauling stuff back and forth with a landscaping trailer. I was using the wifes Caravan but i'm just pushing into the dirt with all the trips back and forth. (I have 2 kids also)
I was looking at buying a Chev Z71 but can get a sweet deal on a 1998 Dodge Ram ext. cab Sport.
It just had the rear end replaced has a 5.2 litre engine with 180,000 klm's (112,000 miles). It's loaded with options and has a matching Leer cap (alarmed) running boards and remote starter/entry.
It comes cert. & e-tested for $9,000 can (7,500 usd).
Could ANYONE fill me in on the good and bad with these truck???
It's not a done deal, but it is a nice truck! I just want to make the right decision with some help.
Much appreciated,
~Neon~

scoutinkeith
01-07-2005, 03:28 PM
well, I was always a die hard chevy guy, that was until I bought my dodge. the dodge that I have is a 99 1500 quad cab 4x4, I bought it used with around 50K miles and it now has almost 86K miles, with only a few minor problems (track bar and plenum gasket)
other than the above mentioned isues, I have had no problems at all with my truck, I think you will be happy with it if you decide to get it. just make sure to give it a good once over and take it for a test drive before purchasing.
good luck,
Keith

Neonbee
01-09-2005, 03:11 PM
Thanks Keith,
Anyone else???

BleedDodge
01-09-2005, 03:49 PM
What are the details on the Z71?

Neonbee
01-09-2005, 04:12 PM
No details BleedDodge..............
It was that I had my eye on them in general (to purchase).

BamaDodgenMX
01-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Dodges have their quirks as do all trucks, and all vehicles really. The difference is in the fact that they occur less frequently, and usually cost less. Also, look at the availability of 1996-1999 used Dodges. It is very infrequent that you can find an owner who wants to give up their truck, even to buy a newer one. It just tells you something about the quality of the truck, and the satisfaction level.

half_ex
01-10-2005, 12:23 AM
Well I have a 96 dodge ram extened cab 4x4. it has power all right but around 62k miles the cam shaft broke. New engine out of my pocket. A couple of months ago while it was summer my ac borke too an I haven't got around to it. I personally love the look of the truck and all but must be having crappy luck. Good luck with your decision.

dirty dan
01-10-2005, 10:20 AM
The '96s were bad about the AC evaporator leaking. It's an expensive repair. Dodge seems to have that fixed now, but I'm not sure when the problem was corrrected.

half_ex
01-10-2005, 04:46 PM
No, it isn't that, the ac compressor won't engage correctly. Don't know the exact cause, we think it may be that the bearings are worn out. The magnetic works correctly but simply refuses to spin the compressor. ohh well....

HemiGottaLuvIt
01-27-2005, 11:40 PM
I wish you lived closer because you could buy my excellent 1998 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 with only 73515 miles on the clock for a fantastic deal!

BamaDodge is right. I DO NOT want to sell my 98 Ram. I'm thinking about unloading one of my Camaros instead so I can keep my truck. Heh, heh, then I'll have two awesome Ram's to motor around town in!

Add your comment to this topic!