Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Silverstars...???

alphanumericgt2
03-08-2002, 05:50 PM
Hi,
Has anyone here used the OSRAM Sylvania SilverStar Halogen Bulbs? Are they brighter than stock? Are they a lot whiter? Are they similar to HID since they run at a temp of 4000K? Any help would be appreciated. Link at the bottom so you know exactly what I'm talking about.

http://www.sylvania.com/auto/silverstar.htm

-=Evol90Accord=-
03-09-2002, 02:57 AM
i bought em, and yes, they are bright. but I dont know if theyre brighter than other bulbs out there. i have hyperwhite clears (polarg m4) and hyperwhite washer nozzle lights, and the silverstars are still a little yellower than them.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to get the headlights closer to that hyperwhite color. Its almost bluish to me... its annoying not having everything match correctly.

-=Evol90Accord=-
03-09-2002, 02:59 AM
i have hyperwhite clears (polarg m4)

that was supposed to be hyperwhite bulbs in my corners... sorry for any confusion

strodda
03-09-2002, 04:43 AM
it depends on which brand you use. which bulbs are too blue now that you want to make white?

-=Evol90Accord=-
03-09-2002, 07:42 AM
the polarg m4s for my corners match perfectly with my hood lights. im trying to get my headlights to be the same color.

none of the lights are too blue, theyre hyperwhites. I just think they look a little bluish

right now my silverstar headlights are a tad yellower than the rest of my bulbs.

clearer now? :)

strodda
03-09-2002, 03:39 PM
ive tried and returned a couple set of supposed "hid" lights from the stores. such as the silverstars, cool blues, etc. the pics on the website look nothing like how they really are. all those store bought brands always come out yellow. i buy all bulbs online. heres a set that i got, works very well.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1811404316&r=0&t=0 .
most of the bulbs draw 85-100w from your system. a little trick i used was putting a 65w 9005 in the lowbeam slot. its brighter and used less power. i used cool blues, but the yellowish color they put out didnt affect me cause i have the headlights tinted. so from up close they look completely white, and from farther away they have a blueish tint.

alphanumericgt2
03-09-2002, 10:10 PM
Did you move the high beam connector to the low beam spot or did you just stick a 9005 on the low beam connector? I thought they burn out really fast if you put a higher wattage bulb onto connectors that weren't designed to handle that kind of power.

strodda
03-09-2002, 11:02 PM
i havent heard anything about that, but then again i dont know anyone else who is using the bulbs like i am. that i know of the wiring is the same. the only difference between a 9005 & 9006 is that the 9005's usually have a higher wattage... and the 9006's have dipped tips and lower wattage allowing for less light to be emitted. and of course in the highbeams there isnt a reflector covering the bulb.
im assuming that the only differnce between bulbs is the wattage. if you take a 9005 & a 9006 both with the same current draw. the only difference will be that one has the dipped ends. inside the bulbs are the same, so one shouldnt wear out sooner than the other.
ive been using the 9005's for a couple months now and ive had no problems. if anything, they would be better for my system since theyre only 65w bulbs. and no i didnt switch wiring harnesses.

alphanumericgt2
03-10-2002, 09:43 AM
Yeah, I figured out I'm just going to go with a 9005 Conversion. As for the bulbs, I may go with the silverstars, but then again, they're $50 and the 1700 lumens would be bright enough I figure. I might just go with xtravisions or highoutputs.

strodda
03-10-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by alphanumericgt2
Yeah, I figured out I'm just going to go with a 9005 Conversion. As for the bulbs, I may go with the silverstars, but then again, they're $50 and the 1700 lumens would be bright enough I figure. I might just go with xtravisions or highoutputs.
if you go with the 9005's be sure to get a lower wattage bulb, because they will naturally put out more light.

if you go with 9006's, dont get silverstars, cause like you already said, they come out yellow. and the xtravisions will be even worse, theyll look brighter, but stock color.

the best prices ive seen are for hiper industries. i havent gotten them yet but i plan on changing my lows to hiper 9005's. theyre 80w, so itll be a little brighter and bluer than what i have now.

alphanumericgt2
03-11-2002, 06:48 PM
Well, I just did the 9005 conversion today. They seem whiter and brighter, but I'll see tonight, when the sun goes down and it gets darker. I went with the GE SuperBlues, since they are $18 at Wal-mart for the two pack. I'm not too concerned with color, as long as it is a bit whiter. My main concern is brighter.

strodda
03-12-2002, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by alphanumericgt2
Well, I just did the 9005 conversion today. They seem whiter and brighter, but I'll see tonight, when the sun goes down and it gets darker. I went with the GE SuperBlues, since they are $18 at Wal-mart for the two pack. I'm not too concerned with color, as long as it is a bit whiter. My main concern is brighter.
whats the draw and output from the bulbs you got?? and now that youve got them, how do they look?

alphanumericgt2
03-12-2002, 06:47 PM
65 watts is what they say, along with the 9005s claiming to be 1700 lumens. They are much brighter. Really nice. Definitely a great improvement in output and night vision. They are whiter, not as white as my driving lights, but white enough for me, and for $20, they are pretty good. They look good. You can't see a bluish/purplish tint when you look at them, just mainly a bright white. And the color on the road is a nice white over stock sylvania yellow.

99AccordCoupe
03-12-2002, 07:13 PM
You got the Wallmart GE bulbs? I always thought those would suck. I was debating wether to buy them when I went in to get Mobil 1 synthetic, but though; "how good could these bulbs look for $20".

Now I'm really tempted to try them. Just one question. Are they brighter than stock and can you see further down the road?

alphanumericgt2
03-12-2002, 07:50 PM
in my opinion, yes they are brighter than stock. but if you are just doing a direct replacement of 9006s, they are the same, since all halogens produce the same number of lumens. With the 9005 Conversion, they are much brighter. I could see further down the road. I just bought them since GE is a trustworthy company and they are cheaper than Sylvanias at Kragen/Checker/Schucks. Also, aiming does have to do with seeing further down the road, but with the same stock aiming, yes you could see further, since the 9005s are brighter.

Plus, if you don't like the light output of the GEs, you could always return them. Walmart doesn't care if you do or not, they get paid the same anyways...

strodda
03-12-2002, 09:51 PM
did you take any pics of your lights on?? im curious as to how they look. i got a deal on some noname bulbs from ebay. 10bucks for a pair of 9006&9005's. ill probably give away the 9006's, but the highs are 100w, so i wanna see how they look compared to the 60w ones i have now. ill see if i can get a pic of the two different ones on.

alphanumericgt2
03-12-2002, 10:00 PM
Sorry, no pics. I don't have a digital camera and I'm too cheap to go buy film and have it developed. It would take me a while to use up a role anyways. But I may just do it that way, since I don't have the money for a digital camera either. I'll update pics as soon as I can.

Add your comment to this topic!