Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Thunderbird stuck in park

mylogon
01-06-2005, 10:03 PM
My 92 Thunderbird is an automatic, and the button on the shift will not depress even while your foot is on the brake pedal. The problem seems to come and go. It appears to be a mechanical problem, and not the microswitch on the brake pedal. So, does anyone understand how the button on the shift work and how to trouble shoot the problem. Thanks.

RickwithaTbird
01-06-2005, 10:36 PM
well, the button on the shift knob just pushes a little rod down in the internal part of the knob. Next time you have that problem, find a flat head screwdriver to pull the pin out of the front on the shift knob, pull the knob up (be careful if you have the OD button) and see if you can press the rod in with your hand. It should be somewhat easy.

speed95
01-09-2005, 02:39 AM
I had the same problem with my 95sc and I found it to be a big fuse under the hood. Im not sure how that happened but it fixed the problem.

doophey69
02-19-2009, 01:15 AM
i have the same problem turn your key slightly jsut before the on position, put car in neutral then start,

cfk3366
04-15-2009, 02:08 AM
My 92 Thunderbird is an automatic, and the button on the shift will not depress even while your foot is on the brake pedal. The problem seems to come and go. It appears to be a mechanical problem, and not the microswitch on the brake pedal. So, does anyone understand how the button on the shift work and how to trouble shoot the problem. Thanks.
try pressing the break and then take it out of park cause you hve to apply pressure to the break before you can move the shifter

Add your comment to this topic!