Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

sudden tranny probs after using 4wd

luvmyrunner
01-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Never had a day of trouble with my 97 4runner (limited, 4wd). drove it (CAREFULLY) using 4wd during last weeks winter storm. I didn't have any problems and then after roads were better and tried to drive it in 2wd again and suddenly having problems???!! I don't have a clue what it could be? Check tran indicator is on and it shudders when put in gear and feels like it might not go into or stay in gear if driven. I've been too scared to drive it.

forest_grump
01-07-2005, 01:19 AM
Not familure with the layout on your '97....

I would try shifting it back and forth from 2WD to 4WD a few times and see if it just wasn't caught inbetween....might also try putting it back in 4WD (4H if you can) and move it to where you can put it in 2WD and back up slowly about 15 feet and see what that does.....

Check tranny fluid level with engine running and in park yet???Did your transmission/AT light come on while driving in 4WD???Did you drive it home in 4WD and very next time you got in it you put it in 2WD and had this problem???.....gotta ask,sorry lol

Let us know and we will try and help ya...goodluck

EGilson0606
05-01-2005, 04:40 AM
If you were stuck in between, i don't think you would be able to even shift it into drive. I blew my tranny to bits about 6 months ago. question...when you look in the rear view...does it vibrate so bad that you can't even see what kind of car is behind you...if this is so TAKE IT IN...My 97 limited tranny blew, leaving it at the dealership for a month and a half, while they tried to find me a replacement tranny, it will cost you about 8K to get a new one if it blows...(at leas that was the quote i got) Luckily they found me one cheaper. Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!