Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Won't go in reverse

1991Blazer4x4
01-06-2005, 02:05 PM
Hey all, I just rebuild my truck and I just found out that the truck will not go in reverse. I took off the transmission and put it back in. There might have been some error that I did by mistake. I wanted to get your opinions though. The fluid level is good. Does the TV (Throttle Valve) cable have anything to do with the reverse part of the transmission? I hooked up the transmission oil cooling lines and the electrical connection and the TV cable. Could someone tell me what I might have missed during this install? Would the transfer case have anything to do with the reverse? The truck does go in all of the forward gears. Any help would be nice. Thanks Alot.

BlazerLT
01-06-2005, 02:08 PM
Move the transmission selector a bit up and down.

Would might have the linkage not attached properly.

See if it will go into reverse when you put the selector in neutral.

1991Blazer4x4
01-06-2005, 02:17 PM
By the way, this is an automatic 700-r4 transmission. The truck is a 1991 s-10 blazer Z code, 4-door, 4x4 with a 4.3L. When I press the gas while in reverse it seems to want to go in reverse but does not fully engage. Would that be a TV cable.

BlazerLT
01-06-2005, 02:23 PM
No, sounds like the reverse has let go.

Did you remove the tranny to inspect for this problem?

1991Blazer4x4
01-06-2005, 02:26 PM
i did not remove the tranny. i don't think it is something major like that. i do hear something like a clicking through the hole where the 4x4 stick is (because i have the hole opened). i have a tranny book that i am looking at but i thought some advice would be nice

Mikado14
01-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Clarify a few things:

1. Was it going into reverse before the engine rebuild?

2. Did you disconnect any of the linkage during this process?

3. Did you pry against any of the linkage?

4. The clicking sound you hear, Does it sound like the park pawl trying to catch?

Add your comment to this topic!