Page updated on 07-19-2018

Error Codes P0171 and P0132

savemycar
01-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Hello All,
My 98' Honda Accord LX has the maintenance required light glowing. I got to know that the Error Codes P0171 and P0132 are causing it to glow. Did anybobdy else in this forum get these error codes before and what would it take to fix these errors. Also, in winter mornings if i dont run the car engine for long enough, the engine goes off when I stop at traffic signals. I am not sure if these error codes are causing the car to behave so..Thanks in advance for all your suggestions..

SK

phantastic1
01-08-2005, 09:50 AM
p0132: high voltage in primary HO2S (sensor1) circuit

p0171: fuel system to lean

the first code (0132) could be the reason why the second code (0171) was triggered. i would try taking care of the 0132 issue first and see if it took care of both codes. primary heated oxygen sensor is the one before the catalytic converter on both the 4 and 6 cylinder models.

savemycar
01-09-2005, 10:05 AM
Thanks phantastic for your response to my questions. I also wanted to know if the error (p0132) is something i could fix on my own or if I will have to take it to the dealer for that. I am a newbie when it comes to car repair.. also, i was wondering i will have to take my car to a dealer to fix this error, how much might it cost? your response for these questions will be highly appreciated..

Thanks

SK

phantastic1
01-12-2005, 12:04 PM
you can purchase aftermarket O2 sensors....but i have run into problems w/ those on my 98 accord 4cyl. you have to cut the original connector off and hook it up to the new sensor. the aftermarket sensor i got include the kit to splice and insulate them...however still had the same problem. eventually had to purchase one from the dealer and took care of it. i recommend going w/ the oem one...but if you want to get an aftermarket...if i can remember correctly...it cost about $90 for aftermarket and about $130 for factory. just call a local parts store and dealer to compare. you could do it yourself. all you really need is either a wrench or a ratchet w/ a o2 sensor socket (a deep socket w/ part of the side missing to allow the wire from the sensor to come through). i would recommend a o2 sensor socket...less likely to strip the sensor. make sure to let the engine cool done before working on it. you would need to jack the car up to get to it. you would want to look for the oxygen sensor closes to the front of the car (before the catalytic converter). hope that helps and good luck

savemycar
01-12-2005, 06:57 PM
Thanks once again phantastic for the instructions.. I wish i had changed the sensor on my own ..but i had an appointment with my dealer yesterday and i ended up paying around $350 :( for fixing this one...i am not sure of the break up but i guess its 90 bucks for diagnosing the problem and 250+ for fixing it...The told the service center guy that i know what was causing the maintenance required light to glow and even gave him the codes..but he said that he still has to diagnose the problem and then decide what the fix is going to be...well i guess thats what it is... anyways..somebody else can save some bucks in the future....

Add your comment to this topic!