Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Huge help!

99 FRUSTRATED JEEP
01-06-2005, 08:52 AM
Thanks for all the help with my past issues! I now have a clean EGR valve and clean PCV valve! Still have the CEL light and a very annoying rattle coming form the base of my windshield on the Drivers side. Anyone have this problem?

amigo-2k
01-06-2005, 10:52 AM
http://www.geocities.com/endre_rl/isuzufaq.htm#faq55

99 FRUSTRATED JEEP
01-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Sounds like it is coming from the outside of the truck and only happens at speeds greater than 55....................I'm going crazy. I have learned to just ignore the CEL, as I can't finger that one out!

amigo-2k
01-06-2005, 03:42 PM
do you have a plastic bug guard on the hood?

LEM
01-07-2005, 07:34 AM
I had a similar problem with our 2000 Trooper, seemed to only happen when we got going about 60 MPH or so. Turned out to be a broken windshield clip on the driver's side.

I went to the dealer, since at the time it was still under warranty; they sent me to a windshield shop, but all they did was glue it down. That stopped the noise, but they really should have replaced the clips.

Hope this helps.

By the way, where is the PCV valve located on the engine, I need to change mine - I think it causing high oil consumption.

travelman
01-07-2005, 09:38 AM
The pcv is on front driver's side, under the big black plastic cover on top of the engine. The cover is held in place with 4? posts surrounded by rubber inserts. Carefully lift up the cover. Be careful not to to lose the little rubber inserts. Sometimes they stay on the posts, sometimes they stick in the cover and sometimes they fall off.

The pcv can influence oil consumption. It is a good thing to clean or replace it. However don't expect that alone to cure your consumption problem. You need to also clean the egr and tubing. If your oil is dirty you should consider using a cleaner like seafoam. All of this needs to be done pretty much at the same time. If not you will be right back where you started within a few hundred miles. I believe the link noted above covers all the how tos.

As to the noise, the factory bugshield tends to cause a buffeting at certain speeds. Some people report this as a rattling sound. One cure is to install some screen spline in the channel between the A pillar and the glass. That keeps the wind out of the channel. If you choose a dark color spline it is pretty much invisible. Some people have used a clear glue/caulk. This is a more permanent approach that may cause problems should the windshield need replacement. Depending on the type of rattling, and of course if you even have a bugshield, you may have one of the other problems already noted.

Add your comment to this topic!