Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'96 Cherokee, no blinkers or brake lights

Chase17
01-05-2005, 06:26 PM
The other day while I was driving I noticed my blinker indicator wasn't flashing. Checked it out and I had no blinkers. My parkign lights work, but don't flash when I use the blinker same with the taillights. Investigated some more and realized I had no brake lights. Now the taillights work, but the brake lights do not light up when I brake. I checked every single fuse, but they're all good. Any other suggestions?

JDPascal
01-05-2005, 07:55 PM
Do your 4way hazard lites work??

JD

Chase17
01-05-2005, 08:09 PM
No, hazards don't work either.

Another note though, my backup lights work. So, no flashers/blinkers, no brake lights.

simuel
01-05-2005, 08:45 PM
You might want to have someone check out your relay switches in your car as this usually deals with turn signals, flashers, blinker lights. Since you check the fuses and they seem okay you might have to change the relay switches. I have had this problem before and it could be a relay switch or turn signal harness.

JDPascal
01-05-2005, 08:54 PM
Check fuse #2 in the power distribution center. It is a 20 amp fuse and hot all the time for the brake lites and 4 way hazards. It also sends power to the combination flasher in the relay bank.

Not sure how that flasher connects the 4ways and signal lites but that one fuse may be the cause for both.

Also fuse #10 in the fuse block is hot in the run position for signal lites. check it out again too.

JD

Chase17
01-05-2005, 09:14 PM
Ok, simuel, I checked the flasher relay switch, seems to be okay as far as the outter physical is concerned.

JD, I checked #2 again and still nothing, but the fuse I have is a 15 amp. I even switched out 15s and still the same results. Also my #10 is empty.

Think it could be the wires or is anything else that could go bad?

Thanks for the help guys.

Chase17
01-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Let's see, my manual lists #2 as "Radio, Cigar Lighter"
My only 20 amp fuses are #8 - "Turn Signal Flasher" and #13 - "Power Lock Doors" which I don't have so that one doasn't apply. So I guess if it's the fuse then #8 would be it, right? What annoys me is that I don't see any fuse listings for taillights or break lights.

Chase17
01-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Now I feel stupid. I found the bad fuse. I was in the wrong stupid fuse box. JD you were right on, it was #2. Thanks a bunch man.

JDPascal
01-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Thats the "fun" in learning about our vehicles.

If I had a nickle for every time I felt dumb over something I missed, I'd be running "The Apprentice". WELL MAYBE.................

Glad to help.

JD

Chase17
01-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Ok, so I got a new fuse and that fixed the brake lights and hazard lights, but still no turn signals. I checked all the fuses in both boxes and from what I can tell nothing wrong.

JDPascal
01-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Does your fuse block cover have a legend of the fuses on it??

Fuse 10 should have a 20 amp fuse

JD

JDPascal
01-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Check for power to the signal lite switch from the flasher. a GRAY wire at the connector at the base of the steering column. This wire comes from the flasher and is hot in the run position (KEY ON)

The flasher is in the relay block under the dash to the left of the steering column.

JD

Chase17
01-06-2005, 08:37 PM
The cover has a legend, but they aren't numbered, just lists the amps. The fuse that I replaced was in the seond position, or atleast I thought, but it just depends on how you look at it.

JDPascal
01-06-2005, 08:40 PM
I'm talking bout the fuse block under the dash now.

JD

Chase17
01-06-2005, 08:53 PM
Ok, the legend to the fuse block under the dash is in the manual. #10 is empty and is also listed in the manual as empty.

The Flasher relay works fine as the hazards do come on.

I'm having trouble finding the gray wire however. I guess I need to remove the shell from the steering column?

JDPascal
01-06-2005, 09:08 PM
If you pull the flasher, you can check for power to the block. Should be one with 12v all the time, another with 12v when the key is on and 3 with no power.

One of those 3 is ground for both flashers-shouldn't be a ground problem.

One of the remaining wires sends power to the turn signal and the other to the hazards when the flasher is in.

I think that there are two seperate flasher units in that assembly. so the dir flasher part could have failed.

JD

Chase17
01-06-2005, 09:18 PM
Oh, so you're saying it could be inside the actual flasher unit?

JDPascal
01-06-2005, 09:29 PM
yup!! In my roundabout way of describing things.

You should have power at 4 of those flasher terminals when the key is on. If not, then one or both of the flasher units has failed open (like a broken wire) (EDIT This is with the flasher installed.)

The gray wire is the out wire from the flasher to the dir switch. No power there, no signals.

By the way, have you checked the bulbs?? (looked at the filiment? They are the single filiment bulbs under the tail/brakelite bulbs.

Check the front ones too??

JD

Chase17
01-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I checked the bulbs with the hazards. They all flash.

Wait, so would I be replacing the actualy realy or the wire?

Chase17
01-07-2005, 10:30 PM
Ok, the gray wire is getting power when the hazards or blinkers are used. So, am I correct in saying it's either the relay itself or a wire leaving the relay?

Chase17
01-07-2005, 10:50 PM
Wait wait wait, ok so when I hit the hazards the gray wire gets pulses of power, basically the flash effect. But when I hit the blinker it's solid power. No pulsing. Does that mean anything?

JDPascal
01-08-2005, 03:31 PM
The gray wire is the output wire for the turn signal flasher
when I hit the hazards the gray wire gets pulses of power, basically the flash effect. But when I hit the blinker it's solid power. No pulsing

That means that:

1. The turn sighnal section of the flasher is not operating properly - replace the flasher----

OR

2. There is not enough load on the flasher to draw sufficient current(amps) to open the flasher -- bulbs are burnt out and you haven't found them. Do the signal indicators in the dash work with the hazard lites??

I would pick #1 because the hazards work.

JD

Chase17
01-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Yeah, the signal indicators work with the hazards, but not at all with the turn signals. When you say replace the flasher, you mean the actual switch where I hit the turn signals, correct? Because I've been driving around today to different stores trying find one or order one, but the only place (so far) that can order it is Pep Boys, but they have like 4 listings and no pictures so we're not sure which to order. Prices range from $34 to $117 for what they had. I'm trying to find one on the internet. I have a few more stores to hit tomorrow, but thanks for all the help JD, and for your patience.

JDPascal
01-08-2005, 11:48 PM
The flasher is the unit under the dash.

The switch is on the steering column.

My money is on the flasher.

Autozone shows them for 7.99 ???

JD

Chase17
01-09-2005, 10:36 AM
What's the flasher look like and where is it located under the dash?

Add your comment to this topic!