Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

4X4 in the rain?

metallica21156
01-05-2005, 05:11 PM
what is any bodys opinion about drive in 4X4 hi in the rain for better traction. is it bad or ok to do so? i know driving dry is bad but being wet it can slide. i also think that at 45 MPH it will shift out of 4X4 as well. its a 95 with the push buttons for the 4X4.

ricksza
01-05-2005, 06:07 PM
According to the owner's manual:

NOTICE: Driving in the 4HI or 4LO positions for a long time on dry or wet pavement could shorten the life of your vehicle's drivetrain.

It will not automatically disengage itself at 45mph.

blazee
01-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Mine likes engaging into 4hi on it's own. It has done it twice in the last month. The last time was two days ago I didn't realize it until I was making a tight turn at a gas station, it felt like the brakes were locked up and would barely go, worked better when I straightened the wheel, and worked fine when I switched back to 2wd. I have been afraid to switch to 4hi and see if it did any damage...I drove about 40 miles doing 80....What do ya'll think? Any Ideas why it does this?

98 Blazer 4 door 4wd

chcknugget
01-05-2005, 08:31 PM
According to the owner's manual:

NOTICE: Driving in the 4HI or 4LO positions for a long time on dry or wet pavement could shorten the life of your vehicle's drivetrain.

It will not automatically disengage itself at 45mph.

Would driving offroad be better for the drivetrain?

And how does it shorten the life? Transimssion?

ricksza
01-06-2005, 04:49 AM
Mine likes engaging into 4hi on it's own. It has done it twice in the last month. The last time was two days ago I didn't realize it until I was making a tight turn at a gas station, it felt like the brakes were locked up and would barely go, worked better when I straightened the wheel, and worked fine when I switched back to 2wd. I have been afraid to switch to 4hi and see if it did any damage...I drove about 40 miles doing 80....What do ya'll think? Any Ideas why it does this?

98 Blazer 4 door 4wd

If you have an automatic style, I've seen the dash switch cause this.

blazee
01-06-2005, 07:19 AM
yeah, it's the automatic type. That was my first thought.I did a visual inspection of the switch, it looked fine, the buttons seem firm(not worn out or anything) but I will take a closer look. Guess I'll break out the meter.
Thanks.

ricksza
01-06-2005, 08:16 AM
The switch sends the signal to the TCCM by resistance signal. I've seen this fault on a scanner.

Add your comment to this topic!