Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Bonneville heating problem

pBonneville
01-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Same problem as Ice Man...heat comes out warm only and takes 45 mins. to warm the car. Seems to have changed when I had a new AC compressor installed. Mechanic said he didn't touch anything inside the car, only worked on the compressor? Help!

LMP
01-04-2005, 10:14 PM
Any positive reason why the compressor was changed? Did you have the occasion to test the new one for better cool before the cold season began? THere is the possibility of stuck diverter trap that then would provide neither real cool nor real warm air flow...4 years is young for clogged heater core...or for damaged compressor for that matter....

the_iceman
01-05-2005, 08:31 AM
hrmmmmmmmmmm I didn't have anything 'changed' in my car when it seemed to go bad (with the exception of puttin in a new radiator cap and refill on coolant). I feel for you pBonneville .... cuzzzzzzzzzz limited heat in the winter stinks!

pBonneville
01-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Well the full story is that the car was a restored salvage vehicle (drivers side front quarter panel-still driveable but insurance company didn't want to fix) so I've had some minor problems not associated with a car of this age. Dealership said "these new compressors are known to go out in 50k miles." Anyway, ac worked fine but there was a grinding noise coming from the compressor and the mechanic advised that the bearings were going. The heat worked fine the winter before the repair (8/9/04) but it wasn't until september before we used the heat again and noticed the problem. In reference to the manifold gasket mentioned in Icemans thread, Recall 03034 for this car was supposed to address a coolant leak in this model Bonneville, I wonder if there is any relationship to our problem and this recall. Yesterday I removed the panels under the dash to see if there was access to the auto-mechanism that controls the heat/cooling and noticed what looks like tiny probes in the section where the air flows. Wondering if they effect the temp of the air system? Also checked the radiator (full).

By the way thanks for the quick feedback.

Add your comment to this topic!