Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car screeching

Jroc97
01-04-2005, 08:14 PM
Ok when you put the car on for the first time of the day, it schreeces LOUD for about 5sec pretty embrassing. So I thought it might be the timing belt casue it was overdue, so I went and got a new one. BAM it was perfect for about 3days, then it came back.

See it only does it the first time you put it on for the day, after its warmed up it doesnt do it. So when I take it to a mechanic for him to hear the sound, it doesnt make it :) cause the cars been warmed up. So what should I do.

BTW, 1997, eclispe GS

kwdiablo
01-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Sounds like an accessory belt, like you're A/C or Alternator Belt. Just go in and tighten the tensioner a bit more. If you're lucky that will cure it. The reason it went away when you changed your timing belt, is because you had the accessory belts off, and now the sound has come back. If tightening them doesn't work, just change them. I would have changed them when I did the timing belt if i were you. They're not that much $$... so you might as well do the power steering belt as well. Good luck.

joemathews
01-08-2005, 12:41 PM
If you had the timing belt replaced, it was unrelated. Timing belts fit into teeth on sprockets, and will not slip and screech (or if they do, your car will no longer run ;)).

The sound went away because the mechanic put your acccessory belts back on, and tightened one of them down enough to make it stop for a while...you need a new accessory belt, so check to make sure which one is the most worn and replace it.

Reager
01-10-2005, 04:16 AM
In most of my encounters I've found that if one belt is worn enough to squeek then you probably should change them all. Since all accessory belts are usally under 20$ its smarter just to change them all at once.

Add your comment to this topic!