Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 F250 7.3 Power Stroke poor mileage

lithod02
01-04-2005, 09:02 PM
1996 F250 7.3 Power Stroke Diesel w/130,000 on odometer

I have been having fluctuating mileage past few months. I have 36gal tank and thru one tank of fuel I get 14-18 mpg, and then on another tank I may get 10-12 mpg under same driving conditions. Mileage to a tank varies from 360 to 400. I have changed air filter, fuel filters, and religiously change oil every 3,000 miles. I bought a maunal and checked all the things that it had listed above, is there maybe something else that I am missing, or has anyone else had this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ModMech
01-05-2005, 02:28 AM
Exhaust back pressure valve might be sticking (not opening fully). That WILL definately cause excessive fuel consumption.

lithod02
01-05-2005, 10:05 PM
Exhaust back pressure valve might be sticking (not opening fully). That WILL definately cause excessive fuel consumption.

Is that the same as a EPR regulator? Where can I find out where it is located? Or how to test it to see if it is bad?

ModMech
01-06-2005, 12:19 PM
There is no such thing as an "EPR" regulator, whomever told you there was had their terms mixed up.

There is a EBP sensor (Exh backpressure), ICP sensor (inj. control Press), IPR (Inj control Press Reg.), EBP solenoid (Exh Back Press).

It is posible that they were thinking Exhaust Pressure Regulator (EPR), but it is the wrong term for it.

There is a valve that actuates a butterfly in the exhaust near the turbo, that is the EBP solenoid, the butterfly itself is the EBP valve. Solenoid failure is not very common, and neither is the butterfly sticking.

The easiest way to check which it is, is to remove tha actuator rod from the butterfly, and see if it moves FREELY from full stop to full stop and back. If that checks out ok, then it is fairly likely that the solenoid (EBP) is sticking.

lithod02
01-06-2005, 08:10 PM
Opps I may have said it wrong then, I got the information from here about it. http://www.thedieselstop.com/contents/getitems.php3?Exhaust%20Back%20Pressure%20Valve
Thanks for the input on how to check it, I will try that this weekend.

mtdriver
04-29-2011, 09:49 PM
I have a power shortage of sorts when the truck hasnt entirely warmed up to running temp i will get lulls in my rpms. it only drops 100-200 revs but almost sounds as though it is sucking air. could this be the same problem as mentioned in this post? it usually runs just fine when it reaches temp but even then very rarely i will get a lull. just wondering

jyount
04-30-2011, 10:11 PM
There is no such thing as an EBPV regulator. There is the valve, and the solenoid that controls it. To disable it to make sure it isn't your problem, just unplug it. It is the two wire connector on the front of the turbo pedistal. It is just below where your intake hose goes into the turbo. I took it completely out of my 97, deleted it. Not hard to do, but the turbo has to come off and that can be a real pain in the butt. Even when they work fine and they activate on they own and deactivate like they should they are a real hazard at time. We have icy winters and any unplanned slow down is bad news. They can put ya sideways on it. Go to dieselstop.com, get some coffee and sit down with your computer and get prepared to be enlightened. There is a wealth of information on your truck. Don't be suprised if yo get Powerstroke Modification Syndrome. It is definately adictive to have a 7000 lb truck that is as fast as a mustang from the start and still gets 16 or 17 mpg!

petarnike
05-01-2011, 12:10 AM
what would cause the poor acceleration off the start and the white smoke from the exaust when riding

jyount
05-01-2011, 01:52 PM
what would cause the poor acceleration off the start and the white smoke from the exaust when riding

Didn't know this post was so old. One my mobile and it didn't show date...
BUT, to respond to you, sounds like you may have under valve cover harness problems, also, sounds like you might have broken nozzle springs is a few injectors. If you are competent you can rebuild your own, if not buckle up for 2 or 3 grand worth of injectors...
GOTO: diyinjectors.com you can get a kit to rebuild yours or even build them in the process, they aren't magic like some would make you believe. Take your time and you can do it yourself.

Add your comment to this topic!