Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

the no start problem

davidfw2004
01-04-2005, 04:18 PM
I have a 2001 Malibu that is having a recurring problem. On occassion, it will try to turn over, but fail to start. I can hear the fuel pump working and it has the right amount of pressure; battery, starter, and spark plugs all ok; engine is getting the gas--but just a turnover and no start. Twice I've brought it to the dealer just to have it start perfectly fine when it got there, it has also randomly started after the problem. I have read about the Passlock II anti-theft problems and waiting 10 minutes w/ the key in the on position, but I have waiting at various intervals w/out the key in the on position and whether it starts seems to be chance. Has anyone had similar problems, or does anyone no a way of disabling the Passlock II system temporary or permantently w/out trying to install a remote access starter? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gapboi210
01-04-2005, 04:44 PM
You should be able to tell if it is the PassLock by looking at the Theft System light. It should be solid not flashing.

ponchonutty
01-04-2005, 07:28 PM
You might try to get a dealer to hook it up to a scanner to see what codes might be there. If it has no-start due to the PK2 system, it will be stored in the BCM.

davidfw2004
01-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Actually, the dealer said there are no problems because there are no error codes, and the theft light was flashing--according to others and the manuel that means the theft system has been activated

michaelj91
01-13-2005, 12:33 PM
I have a 2004 malibu with the same problem.The dealer reprogram PCM with 3 new updates and the problem continues.

ponchonutty
01-13-2005, 05:49 PM
Actually, the dealer said there are no problems because there are no error codes, and the theft light was flashing--according to others and the manuel that means the theft system has been activated
Bingo. If it is flashing when you try to start, it is a bad PK2 system. No updates will fix it.

krushmoto
01-14-2005, 01:44 AM
Just do what I did with my Passlock II. I bought a remote starter along with a Passlock II bypass kit. I installed both and recorded the resistance for the Passlock system and just use my remote starter for starting the car.
Now the only time the Passlock system kicks on is when the resistance is off due to vibrations so I just recalabrate it but now they sell bypass kits that automatically learn the resistance, all you do is turn the key and your done. That should help you with the theft system problems. If you're mechanically and electrically inclined you shouldn't have any problems hooking up the system yourself.

kwittyc
05-05-2005, 02:41 PM
Anything New on this? My car is doing the same thing. I have taken it to the dealership twice and nothing, it starts for them everytime. I have noticed when it doesn't start it is on a slight (and i mean slight) incline. If i role my car back into the street it will finally start. I'm at my wits end with this.

misskitty78382
05-05-2005, 03:54 PM
You should be able to tell if it is the PassLock by looking at the Theft System light. It should be solid not flashing.
hello , well my malibu did the same thing 800 bucks later three garages found out it was in the ignition, that theres a part in there that goeas to the electronics and the part is defected, so tell tehm to look into your igtion switch ok, they gave me my old part told me it was a defect to keep my old part incase of a recall are if i choice to sue, well a friend og mine also bought a malibu they sued gmc she paid 20,000 they gave her back 15,000 its a defect in the igtion switch , once they repalce it they have to re download to the brain so it start again its really two steps to be fixed cost me 800 bucks good luck with yours

misskitty78382
05-05-2005, 04:00 PM
I have a 2004 malibu with the same problem.The dealer reprogram PCM with 3 new updates and the problem continues.
courier four 4 hello i had the same thing, they need to check your ignition switch, 800 later and two well three garages , they found it to be the main igntion swith that shut down the car to be able to start it, wwhen they put the new part in they also had to send it to another garage to download the things it needed to start with with the new part , any way i got out from under my malibu, wish u all luck with yours , tho my mechanic said its a defected part gmc made in the igntion switch, he gave me my old part incase of a recall, he said they should be one are people should sue gmc, guess thats up to the person them self, but if enough people complian to gmc about this part threre should be a recall on it thank u good luck

misskitty78382
05-05-2005, 04:03 PM
its your ignition switch, once they replace the defected part they have to download stuff back in your brain to get the car to start cost me 800 bucks to find this out good luck to u all

Kiznile
05-11-2005, 12:59 AM
i have same problem....just wont turn over sometimes and now it wont start at all

kwittyc
05-17-2005, 08:16 AM
:smokin: PROBLEM SOLVED, well at least for now. It better be since it cost me $884. I asked my service advisor to place my car on an incline and leave it there until he could not get it to start. Finally after 2 days it failed to start. The mechanic traced it to my fuel pump modulator and wiring harness. Since it has been replaced (over a week) my car starts up fine and I hope it continues to. I recommend if your having the same issue of your car turning over but not starting see if your vehicle is on an incline. If so role it back until it is of the incline and see if you can get it to start if so take it to a repair shop and ask them to check this first. Thank you guys/gals for all your advice.

Kiznile
05-17-2005, 12:30 PM
Fixed....Passlock II sucks lol....they replaced the passlock unit it was $300 and works like a champ

johnholl
05-17-2005, 03:10 PM
I've had an autostarter installed in my '98. About 4 years ago I hit the start button to start the vehicle as i was aproaching it and the damn thing cranked for a solid 45 seconds without starting and would NOT stop cranking. I thought the starter motor was goint to fry, and I had no tools to disconnect the battery. People in the lot were looking at my car as if it were posessed.

At that time the passlock was flashing. Never happened again though.

I've had problems with the underhood safety switch corroding up, causing a malfuntion with my car-starter. So I disconnected the underhood safety switch.

wymi
05-17-2005, 10:08 PM
:smokin: PROBLEM SOLVED, well at least for now. It better be since it cost me $884. I asked my service advisor to place my car on an incline and leave it there until he could not get it to start. Finally after 2 days it failed to start. The mechanic traced it to my fuel pump modulator and wiring harness. Since it has been replaced (over a week) my car starts up fine and I hope it continues to. I recommend if your having the same issue of your car turning over but not starting see if your vehicle is on an incline. If so role it back until it is of the incline and see if you can get it to start if so take it to a repair shop and ask them to check this first. Thank you guys/gals for all your advice.
Your "fuel pump modulator" is that the non-electrical part under the hood on the fuel rail? My mechanic calls that part the fuel pressure regulator, is that what you are talking about? What electrical harness was replaced and where is this harness located? What does this electrical harness connect to?
Thanks.

orlandofred
06-08-2005, 09:00 PM
Been having the same problem with my 01 LS Malibu for over 6 weeks. It sputters on starting but won't start. Changed fuel pump and ran for a weekbut won't start again. It's getting fuel and spark and will run if you spray starting fluid in air breather unit. My mechanic thinks the crank sensor unit is not sending pulse to injectors and will replace in the next week or so. Will update.
PS. it's not starting on the incline in my yard.

alkelley
09-05-2005, 12:51 PM
I've been experencing hard starting and on 2 occassions now it wouldn't start at all. Towed to a mechanic shop and 3 hours later they figured out that cam fuel sensor was corroeded, cleaned and it started fine. Today it wanted start again. My problem is I dindn't have the mechanic show me where the sensor is located so that I might be able to clean it myself.
Anybody got a clue where it is located?

Add your comment to this topic!