Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Recommended tire pressures

tidalwavedave
01-04-2005, 04:09 PM
A year ago I purchased a 1992 Sierra SLE 1500 XC 4x4. I have recently put on 4 new P265/R75-16 tires. When I went to look on the (drivers) door for the (factory) recommended tire pressures I saw that the tag was so worn it could not be read. Can anyone help me out here?

WEF
01-04-2005, 04:23 PM
I always used 30 psi cold until switching to Michelin M/S load range E then went to 45 psi.

tidalwavedave
01-05-2005, 09:11 PM
Thanks, but can you tell me the information on the drivers door tag?

WEF
01-06-2005, 05:18 PM
Thanks, but can you tell me the information on the drivers door tag?
Sorry, I just traded it for a Yukon. I had the 30 psi written on a chart with other often used stuff like wheel nut torque, drain plug wrench size etc. so I think the 30 psi came off the door tag.

kenny-1907
01-07-2005, 02:17 PM
The tire pressure that is listed on the sticker on the door is for the tires that your truck came with from factory. If you have changed tire sizes this pressure will be different. Look around the sidewall of the tires that you have ,even if they are factory tires and the recommended pressure will be listed somewhere there.

tidalwavedave
01-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Thanks Kenny, but the " ride and handling " charactaristics of most vehichles are designed around a specific tire and a specific inflation pressure, not the max. inflation pressure found on the tire. That is why each and every vehicle manufacturer is required to put that information on the vehicle somewhere where the owner can easily access it. Deviating from the factory recommended inflation pressures will change the "ride and handling" of the vehichle and change the wear characteristics of the tires. One place that GM happens to put the "tire placard " most often is the drivers door.They also put that info on the factory build sheet which they usually leave under one of the seats. Unfortunately I am missing both. I need someone who still has the "tire placard " on the drivers door of their 1992 GMC Sierra 4x4 XC truck with optional P265/75R-16 tires to relay that info to me so I can write it down.
Thanks

2000CAYukon
01-07-2005, 05:06 PM
I have a 90 GMC K1500 (not XC) and the sticker says 35 front and 35 rear for 265/75-16.

//2000CAYukon

WEF
01-07-2005, 07:46 PM
IMHO door stickers can cause a lot of grief. They are usually on the low side to give a softer ride. This is part of the battle Ford had with Firestone. Ford recommended low pressures for a good ride and Firestone wanted higher pressures to eliminate overheating. Factory settings will also be close to the point of wearing the tread on the outer edges.

Here is everything you ever wanted to know about tire pressure from tirerack.com
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/ownersmanual.jsp

sechracer
01-09-2005, 01:08 AM
most tires shops, no matter the vehicle reccomend 28 to 32 psi for regular driving habits. that usually ensures even tire wear and proper handleing. on my '97 I usually rund 30 to 31 psi, in all 4 tires, it has 265/75/16's on it, and the factory setting is 32 psi...

kenny-1907
01-09-2005, 03:35 PM
IMHO door stickers can cause a lot of grief. They are usually on the low side to give a softer ride. This is part of the battle Ford had with Firestone. Ford recommended low pressures for a good ride and Firestone wanted higher pressures to eliminate overheating. Factory settings will also be close to the point of wearing the tread on the outer edges.

Here is everything you ever wanted to know about tire pressure from tirerack.com
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/ownersmanual.jsp

I agree for the most part, not all MFG's will post a lower recommended p.s.i , but some do and have in the pase. IMHO no tire should really be run with a pressure lower than 31-32 p.s.i on the road. ANY tire run on road with too low of a pressure will cause overheating and eventually failure.

Add your comment to this topic!