Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 jimmy gas guage doesn't work...follow up

donnaandrickey
01-04-2005, 03:54 PM
I have changed the fuel pump three times now, and the sending unit. The guage still does not work. I have owned this jimmy for thirty days now, and its been in the shop for twenty three of them. Please help me...frustrated is not the word...Donna

BlazerLT
01-04-2005, 04:12 PM
And the mechanic can't fix this?

Have they tried to fix it?

donnaandrickey
01-04-2005, 06:29 PM
The mechanic said he has probed every wore and did the fuel pump. He said he has no idea what it is other than to change out the instument cluster, but then my mileage would not read correctly. Please help...Donna

BlazerLT
01-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Take it to another mechanic.

Are you having any driving problems?

donnaandrickey
01-04-2005, 09:10 PM
No i am not having any other driving problems. I have to use this mechanic because that is who my warranty is thru. Do you have any ideas what it could be? Please let me know...Donna

JackDaniels386
01-04-2005, 09:40 PM
how much did that sending unit cost u? Mines doing the same thing, but i heard the sending units like 300 bucks. I took it out to look at it, and it looks like the little floater sensor thingies werent making contact with the sensor on the sending unit, and i thought i fixed it by bending them to where it would make contact, but it screwed it up even worse. I'm pretty sure replacing the fuel pump wont have any effect on ur gas gauge, that mechanic probably doesnt know what hes doing. If it isnt your sending unit, you might have a short or some other problem with the wiring in the thing.

donnaandrickey
01-05-2005, 02:17 PM
My sending unit was $289.00. So yeah ur right about three hundred bucks....I had all the wires probed, so it can't be the wiring...I don't know what to do. I can't afford another mechanic right now. i think i am down to changing the whole instument panel thingy. thats just about my last option that i know of

BlazerLT
01-07-2005, 10:05 AM
Something is weird here.

The sending unit is the cause, make sure they are using the right sending unit from GM.

Add your comment to this topic!