Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Jetta TDI, should I buy?

swipter
01-04-2005, 06:23 AM
Looking for a new car and thinking about buying a Jetta TDI, new 05 or used 04. How has yours been and do you recommend or discourage?

Thanks for your help.

swipter
01-08-2005, 05:49 PM
I must say that this is the worst auto forum I have ever seen. Forums are supposed to be helpful and give advice when asked. When someone asks how to fix their duwappy 25 people will answer. Most don't have a clue but at least try. When someone asks for honest feedback they get none. The motorcycle forum I use is nothing like this place. It is more like a family. People helping people...no matter what the topic or question. People here are nothing more than a bunch of vultures only interested in what their problem of the moment is. I will be buying a Passat but not because of the OUTSTANDING help, advice or feedback I received on this so call forum. Live long a prosper but don't ask opinions here because you won't get it.

ChadEbert
01-22-2005, 10:33 AM
In defense of both the forum and your issue. First the forum because it's not bitter and jaded.

You asked a very specific question. TDI's are not too common. We can't even get them in California, they aren't even shipped here anymore. You gave the fourm 4 days to answer a very specific issue before you attacked it, not cool. Give it time, people answer. I saw your thread and opened it with all intent of giving you a very educated and detailed reply, I had a Jetta TDI when I lived in Washington state and commuted 120 miles a day.

However, your attitude of grandiose and entitlement leads me to believe you'd not value anyone's opinion but your own. So enjoy your Passat, keep the rubber on the road.

Mahalo!
~C

swipter
01-22-2005, 03:09 PM
Where is my tissue. I feel tears coming to my eyes.

phattyc75
03-24-2005, 10:14 AM
This has been far and away the most helpful forum site I have ever seen. Please don't be too quick to judge.

To answer your question, I would be wary about buying one of the brand new body style 05 jettas, simply because VW has a bit of a reputation with struggling to get the kinks ironed out of their vehicles. I know the body style that has been around since 99.5 has had several problems like ground faults on the alarm/lock system, and have problems with the MAF sensor, among others. Granted, none of these tend to be really major, but a lot of dealers can be a pain in the ass to work with on warranty work, and if it does happen outside of warranty, then they can be expensive. Additionally, the new TDI is putting out a little more horsepower than last years model. Horsepower is good in the sense of being able to get up and go, but more horsepower also means the engine will wear out faster. It also means a little less gas mileage. However, anyway you look at it, the TDI is a more reliable engine than the VW gasers.

If it was my choice, I would attempt to find one of the early 2005 models before the body change or a low mile 2004 with a manual transmission. The manual will mean you have to change a clutch every 130,000 miles or so, but the transmission itself is stronger and more reliable than the automatic. It also provides better gas mileage. Also, think about extended warranty to cover the what-if repairs. I am not sure if VWA actually offers a manufacturer extended warranty, or if you would have to buy the dealer's warranty, but if there is a choice, take VWA's. I do know that VW parts tend to be expensive, and unless you can find a good independent VW mechanic, the dealers tend to rape you for labor costs on VWs. Hope I have been at least slightly helpful.

bigblackone
03-25-2005, 11:41 PM
This has been far and away the most helpful forum site I have ever seen. Please don't be too quick to judge.

To answer your question, I would be wary about buying one of the brand new body style 05 jettas, simply because VW has a bit of a reputation with struggling to get the kinks ironed out of their vehicles. I know the body style that has been around since 99.5 has had several problems like ground faults on the alarm/lock system, and have problems with the MAF sensor, among others. Granted, none of these tend to be really major, but a lot of dealers can be a pain in the ass to work with on warranty work, and if it does happen outside of warranty, then they can be expensive. Additionally, the new TDI is putting out a little more horsepower than last years model. Horsepower is good in the sense of being able to get up and go, but more horsepower also means the engine will wear out faster. It also means a little less gas mileage. However, anyway you look at it, the TDI is a more reliable engine than the VW gasers.

If it was my choice, I would attempt to find one of the early 2005 models before the body change or a low mile 2004 with a manual transmission. The manual will mean you have to change a clutch every 130,000 miles or so, but the transmission itself is stronger and more reliable than the automatic. It also provides better gas mileage. Also, think about extended warranty to cover the what-if repairs. I am not sure if VWA actually offers a manufacturer extended warranty, or if you would have to buy the dealer's warranty, but if there is a choice, take VWA's. I do know that VW parts tend to be expensive, and unless you can find a good independent VW mechanic, the dealers tend to rape you for labor costs on VWs. Hope I have been at least slightly helpful.

you probably don't want to buy a TDI if you have that general attitude of people on forums that don't cater to you, specifically. Most of the TDI specific forums I have seen are more like a family and they don't really enjoy being berated like that.

DieselsAreBetter
03-26-2005, 06:25 PM
JETTA TDI IS AMAZING... actually i own a 04 pd vw jetta tdi, and my only regret is not buying the 04 golf GLS instead, i wish i had a sunroof, alloy wheels, moonsoon speakers and leather, if you really prefere the jetta to the golf, i suggest getting the GLS either way, unless you don't care, but definately get the TDI, it's better than all but the vr6, all you need is a tuning box or chip and it'll be 7 sec 0-60, and when you're not beating on it it'll get 46 MPG, i got 500 miles on a tank of gas before.... great roadtrip car, great everyday car.... BUY IT

JTrujillo86
08-13-2005, 01:57 AM
I say buy it...my mom just bought a 2.5...nice but I wish she had the extra $$ to get the TDi.

I think this forum is REALLY helpful, but if you get the TDi, another good forum is TDiclub.com.

Jeremy

Add your comment to this topic!