Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

You have probly been asked this a thousand times...

chadm_88
01-03-2005, 11:23 PM
..but I plan to go to an auto college (NADC) and then move out of town and start my own garage. Since I'm still just a sophomore in high school, I was wondering if there was anything more I could do now to help me reach that goal. I have been reading up on some basic car info and I try to work with my truck as much as possible. Can anyone point me in the direction of a website with info about everything you need to know about a car? or just any help at all?? Thanks :confused:

Autopro
01-07-2005, 08:07 PM
Here is a site that is informative. http://www.autoshop-online.com

I hope you the best.

chadm_88
01-07-2005, 10:21 PM
lol, thanks...but I've already been to that site. And yes it was VERY informative, I've read like everything on it. It taught me a lot about cars, but I want to learn how to actually do stuff...are there any hands-on ways a person like myself could do this? I was thinking about asking a local mechanic if he offered any apprenticeship type things.

Autopro
01-08-2005, 08:09 AM
Asking a local mechanic if he offered and apprenticeship is a good idea. When I was a senior in high school I got a job pumping gas in a gas station and used to hang around the mechanics when there were no customers. I learned quite a bit just from watching and asking questions. After high school I went to a technical school and signed up for a mechanic's course. If you're serious about mechanic's I recommend you going to a technical school after you graduate high school. Being a book smart mechanic is better than a self taught mechanic.

AutoPro

J-Ri
03-20-2005, 10:20 PM
I agree partially about being book smart. However, I know someone who placed second in VICA (national), and got fired because he couldn't work on his own without being given the information he needed. Book smarts are very important, but hands on skills are just as important.

I'd definately recommend taking a 2 year course in automotive technology. You'll get lots of imformation, and hands on experience (I did at my school, I think most would be very similar).

sv650s
09-27-2005, 05:00 PM
ask your guidance councellor if there's dual enrollment in any technical schools in your town. it's when a bus take's you to that school and you take your class and then you go back to take your next period. i'm a freshman so i can't take it but i'm taking automotive engineering next year.

Add your comment to this topic!