Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

4Runner cup holder removal

jstarnes
01-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Hello, where would I find the removal process (pictures, diagrams, etc..) for a 97 4Runner Limited cup holder removel?

forest_grump
01-04-2005, 12:35 AM
Wrecking bar or claw hammer
Sears:$19.99

Just kidding.Need same info for 1992 4runner lol

jstarnes
01-04-2005, 10:20 AM
OK this is how you do it!
First remove the control knobs on the temp/air control....easy

Next...(Gently, Gently) Remove the face plate of the Air/Heat face plate.
Use a small screw driver to pry all the way around the face before trying to pull it off.

Inside the panel will be 4 screws,...Remov the two that hold the Pannel...
If you drop the one on the right, don't fret you will find it in the channel of the panel later.

Then grab the panel by the air vents and pull....easy
This will cause the face panel to tilt forward.

DO not pry up the lower plate around the shifter it may scratch the forward pannel..........easy

Remove all electrical connections......easy

Continue to tilt the panel inward.
Put the emergency brake on then put the shifter in neutral or drive. (remember you have to step on the brake to get the shifter to move)Ha, HA

gently press down on the ashtray extensions and pull the remaining distance until the panel is free......nerve racking

Then twist the panel sideways and lift over the shifter...easy

Now you have the panel in your hand, you will see that their are two tongs on the back side of the cup holder keeping it in place.
You will need to put both fingers in the back and depress the tongs (which are harder to press than you think).......Kind of easy

Pull on the cup holder and remove.

Now the hard part......
My cup holder sheared off the small plastic piece that holds the spring which holds the thing-ee in place???????

Do I crazy glue it back and hope it holds????
Do I put a screw in it place and hope I don't break the part further???
Do I go to the no so premium lot and purchase a used one?????

Now to put it back together,,,where did I put that wrecking bar and claw hammer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

forest_grump
01-04-2005, 04:04 PM
LMFAO!!!!!
Great post bud,ty...will put wrecking bar and claw hammer on hold and try it your way first when I get around to it after hunting season is over lol

jstarnes
01-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Update on the progress......Crazy glue won't work.....Super glue won't work.....60 sec Quick set epoxy won't work......and getting a screw to hold is impossible.

This is the end of my preventive maintenance however, I have found that if you call the Toyota parts department and tell them that you are trying to order on line they will give you a 20% INTERNET discount. I called several dealers (looking for one in stock)and it seems that they are all honoring the discount. If they don't there should be several out there who will. I paid $35 for a new one. Hope this one works.

Good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!