Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Saturn Computer Problem

rickgoundry
01-03-2005, 08:05 AM
PROBLEM: Computer has locked out the ignition system

Make / Model: Saturn SL 2,
Year: 2001
Eng Size: 4 Cylinder, 1.9 L

About 15 months ago, the computer locked out the ignition system. Not sure why. Am getting 2 dash lights/messages (Security & Service Engine).

Mechanic has tried to retrieve error codes from the computer with a “Genisys Scan Tool”. Only information retrieved is “NO DATA” and “THIS TYPE OF CODE IS NOT SUPPORTED BY VEHICLE”.

The real problem is this car and I are stationed overseas on the US Naval Base, Guantanamo Bay Cuba. There are no Saturn Dealers here. The cost of shipping the car back and forth to the US is to high to make that a possible option.

Saturn dealers have been contacted. All say the car must be returned to the dealer for repairs. Again this is not an option.

A new computer was even ordered and received, however it doesn’t work either. The mechanic believes that it needs to be programmed. He has tried programming but keeps getting an error on “Step 11”.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it possible to send the computer out for reprogramming without sending the vehicle?

Rick

carguy83
01-04-2005, 07:24 AM
yes it is possible... but they cant guarantee their work. wether they say so or not its hit or miss

sierrap615
01-05-2005, 12:36 AM
are there any GM dealerships in cuba? GM's special scan tool is the Tech2, used by all brands to the best of my knowage. that guy will read the code, and i beleave will reprogram it. i would only suggest sending the PCM as a last resort(what if the problem is not in the PCM?).

this whole problem may be related to the key itself, chances are the you have the passlock 2 (i think thats what its called) the key has a little chip inside of it(small black square with metal strip on both sides), i would say try another key if you have one, but with the new PCM i feel its to late to try that. you may want to relay this problem on saturnfans.com

if you are really desprite, you could swap in and aftermarket computer control system for the PCM

sierrap615
01-05-2005, 01:09 AM
if it is the passlock system - i wonder if this will work - http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2634885&postcount=5

Add your comment to this topic!