Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

530d - Performance Increase options - Which is better??

hell_spawn27
01-03-2005, 03:45 AM
Am Considering a 530D E60 next year. The car is no slouch with Standard figures of 218bhp and close 500Nm Torque.

Yes the car has ample torque but found some interesting options for performance tweaking. Would like opinions / suggestions as to which might be better.

Only two options offered significant oomph!

1. Superchip

www.superchips.co.uk. These guys essentially re-programme the ECU with new updated software which increases performance and mainly the good news is that torque increase upto to 30% is possible. The Superchip is programmed to adjust the timing and fuelling maps to optimise performance. Ofcourse these the increase is only effective when it comes to Turbo Charged cars. They have a considerable list of models when it comes to Turbo Diesels and for E60 530d they provide an increase of 45bhp and 97NM increase of torque to 549Nm from 471Nm. It is impressive on paper at least. I am a bit concerned abt the fact the re-programming the ECU could have adverse effect on reliability,engine wear and tear etc. Ofcourse the site says it's all reliable etc. etc.

If any one has been a customer of superchips or has any suggestions about this...I'd be really greatful!

2. Tuning Box

www.tuningbox.com

Quoting from the site....

The Tuningbox connects between the original computer and the injection system of your car. The Tuningbox intercepts the data coming from the original unit, recomputes and optimises the data before sending the modified parameters to the pump (only the volume and time of injection are altered, never the injection or turbo pressure). The modification may be analogous, as on the early Tuningbox DH models. On the other models, software data modification is used, which means that the Tuningbox CR, VP and IP models, etc., contain a program which can be modified or adapted to suit the model of car and any changes made by the car manufacturers.

The apparent advantage of this method over chip tuning is the following:
Why use the Tuningbox and not Chip Tuning ?

- No need to alter the original units (which become increasingly sensitive).
- The Tuningbox is easy to remove and can be installed on another vehicle of the same model.
- Easy to install yourself, without any special knowledge!
- Cannot be detected by your garage's diagnostic equipment!
- Leaves no trace.

The performance increase is similar to superchip, a bit higher actually with end figures reading 258bhp and 600Nm Torque.

Both these options cost around 600 euros and price really isn't a factor.

The Million dollar question is that which of these would be better option ??????

Any inputs would be much appreciated!!

I'm posting this in the tech forum too additionaly cause unfortunately I have not recieved many inputs so far :confused:

Redcivic3
01-03-2005, 03:52 AM
Probably shouldnt messaround with a brand new Bimmers CPU.
think more along the lines of breathing(intake&exhaust) and ignition(wires)

propdrv
01-03-2005, 07:01 AM
I have a 2000 328Ci with a Dinan 3 package. I wish to upgrade the brake system with cross drilled rotors. I am told that if this car does not have 4 wheel ABS, that it is not recommended to install cross drilled rotors on the rear. 1. Does this car have front wheel ABS or 4 wheel ABS? 2. Which brake pads are recommended? Ceramic, or carbon metallic? Any help would be appreciated!

hell_spawn27
01-04-2005, 03:24 AM
Well the tuning box option does not do much to the CPU/ECU? It can be plugged out anytime..unlike the Superchip option :smile:

Derby
02-17-2005, 07:05 AM
the question is, does superchip have a rolling road. if so the gains with superchip can be higher.

That box thing is pre programmed for all cars. They take a worse case scenario, test it and when it is good that will be the new program for all cars with that type of engine. But if your car is on the other end of the line, the best fitting parts and so on, you won't get the best performance with that box thing. At superchip (if they have a rolling road) they will tune your car to the best performance.

Derby

hell_spawn27
03-30-2005, 10:37 PM
ahem..what's rolling road? sorry being this ignorant..am new to this stuff :screwy:

Add your comment to this topic!