Page updated on 06-21-2018

OK I Did It. Just bought My New Ram. PLEASE HELP

Suprteck
01-02-2005, 08:24 PM
Ok some of you know me from my questiions and research of the Ram Pick Up.

My history of vehicles is not so good lately.
I bought a new 2002 silverado and got the worst case f piston slap you can imagine.
I traged it in for a new 2004 Ford F-150 super crew and got a defective main bearing( first reported to ford by me at 280 miles) and had to have a new motor put in the truck at 1500 miles.

Decided to try Dodge after getting some input from friends and others on this board.

Just bought a 2005 1500 Ram Hemi. Checked it out intensely before buying it. Going to the dealership and starting it early AM cold starts and letting it run , driving it. I checked this truck out so intensely, looking for engine knocks, piston slap etc. nothing.it was so smooth and quiet.

Well I get it home and now after 250 miles I have two different noises comming from the motor. Not at start up but after driving i sometimes hear what sounds like piston slap when idleing in park and also a lite pulsating squeeling sound like a belt noise.

I talked to a friend who says " it all good , not to worry his is the same. Hemis make noise. They are not swiss watches. They have slight knocks."

Please put my mind to rest tell me this is true.

I cant take another problem engine.

thanx

BleedDodge
01-02-2005, 08:29 PM
I welcome that sound. Ever hear an old hemi engine?

Just drive it.

danwilliams
01-03-2005, 04:03 PM
It sounds like you have the worst of luck with new vehicles no matter who you buy from. How intensely are you looking for defects? Pedal to the floor until you hear somethin? I have a 99 5.9L so it's no hemi, but I get a little valve pinging if I don't burn premium. I usually don't so it pings but ain't been a real problem. I do hope you have nothing wrong with your ride, and I wish you the best of luck.

Suprteck
01-03-2005, 07:07 PM
It sounds like you have the worst of luck with new vehicles no matter who you buy from. How intensely are you looking for defects? Pedal to the floor until you hear somethin? I have a 99 5.9L so it's no hemi, but I get a little valve pinging if I don't burn premium. I usually don't so it pings but ain't been a real problem. I do hope you have nothing wrong with your ride, and I wish you the best of luck.

I just got back from a friend I havent seen in a few months. He has the same truck but a 2003. His sounds exactly the same. He has a little knocking sound and also the lope chirp kind of sound. I went back to the dealership today also and started 3 hemis drove them a little and pulled over in a quiet place and checked out the engine sound. The same as mine.
Guess its just a Hemi thing.
Noisy engines, lots of mechanical sounds.
But what a truck . I love it.
Ill keep it and drive it , like i stold it. hell it comes with a 7yr 70,000 mile drivetrain warranty, and most likely Ill move on to something new before then. Unless it proves to be just a fantastic low maintance truck.

BamaDodgenMX
01-03-2005, 10:25 PM
Hey, if you don't want it (which I'm betting you will), I'll be more than happy to take it off of your hands for free.

BleedDodge
01-03-2005, 11:44 PM
Truck's not even broken in and he's worrying about a little engine noise. That's a big motor, if it was quiet like a pussy cat I'd be worried...

Suprteck
01-04-2005, 12:25 AM
Truck's not even broken in and he's worrying about a little engine noise. That's a big motor, if it was quiet like a pussy cat I'd be worried...

I remember when i first got the piston slap in my silverado.... people said back then it will go away when the motor gets broken in. It got so bad you could hear it across the st and while driving it became constant and then came the oil consumption, then the warning from the local dealership that they just replaced two motors because of piston failure.

then i went to Ford and well you all know my story but could you blame me for being just a little paranoid.... come on ...
if you had my luck lately you "might" be a little paranoid also.
BUT... I did say I LOVE THE TRUCK. I just needed a little reasurance from dodge owners , being this is my first with Dodge.

But anyway this truck drives awesome , responds awesome, looks awesome....Its a keeper, and im putting money into it. im over the hemi tick and knocking issue's. its now time to just enjoy.

thanx and cheers

Dodge

Add your comment to this topic!