Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

GTV6 help

orangehat44
01-02-2005, 07:26 PM
hey everyone just to go right out an say im only 17 but i love cars and everything to do with them, ive always had a special love for alfas since my dad has had 2+ since i was born and weve spanned the decades, 78 spyder, 84 gtv6 88 milano verde, and a 94 164. and for the past few years ive really gotten interested in cars helped my buddy out and weve been doing some shop work on a few cars simple stuff soo far but i love to work on cars, and i just got the dream green light from my dad saying I can do basicly whatever to the gtv6. so im trying to get some ideas for it. the body on the car is beatiful and doesnt really need nething, interior will be the last thing i tackle just cause it really dont need nething (maybe new seats) but il save that cause i will wait to invest the money but id love to do some custom work on the interior to really make it stand out (as if alfas dont stand out themselfs) but onto the performance side of things ill list things right now ive got a priorty list at the moment and id love imput if you guys got any ideas for me or if ive forgot nething:

Priority list:
1.) Transmission- 20 yearold trannys got alittle wear on it especially the imfamous alfa grinded syncros and the screwed up 2nd gear ( prob from the previous owners) weve only had the car for maybe 4 years soo im wondering what to do we might just take it to some one (we have a nerby alfa garage) have them rebuild or replace the tranny orthe other option is ive heard that the milano tranny can pretty much drop right in, and our 88 milano is rusted to hell and is a parts car but mechanicly its amazing soo i was thinking i could swap the milano tranny in.

2.) next would be the basic out with the stupid emissions exhaust and European preformance pipes form headers back

3.) suspension- street or superstreet springs would drop it an 1" - 1 1/2" sway and toresion bars and shocks (prob koni)

4.)brakes but i dont believe they need much work prob just a cleaning of accumulated rust and maybe new pads

5.) then last but not least then engin : performance airfilter the pandora's box ecu if i can get one, spark plugs and wires, and after that im not to sure (prob need the most help here for ideas) and ultimate goal would be to flat bed it across country to sperry valve works and get their amazing package done where it basicly makes the car from a 2.5 l to a 2.8 and all the other bells and whistles of porting and polishing and headwork and valves

but so far thats my plan please give me ne ideas you might have all the help is greatly appreciated

2.5gtv6
03-02-2005, 02:13 AM
Well, if you have that kind of money available, and your tranny can be replaced with the one from your Milano then I would ignore the suspension for now and straight for the engine. Is your Milano a 2.5 or a 3 liter? If its a 3 and in good mechanical shape then I would suggest swapping in the milanos engine as well as the tranny. It is most power/$ mod you can do to a GTV6. However if you wanted to preserve the GTV6's engine for whatever reason then I would try to find a Callaway twin turbo kit. Ive seen a few for sale online... or maybe if you phoned callaway they would still put one together for you? Anyways good luck with your car and please post updates with pictures if possible! I've been starving for info on other GTV6's since gtv6.org went down :(

orangehat44
03-03-2005, 03:50 PM
thanks alot the milano is a 3.0 and its in great condition, ive been really pushin my dad to consider swapping the tranny and engine seeing that the chassis of the milano is soo bad we're gonna hafta sell it as a parts car (or some one who has a body and wants to go through swapping bodies) but yea the car cant even past inspection due to rust (12 NY winters and 3 years in NC with out a garage) it was a great car and i really hate seeing it go, but the mechanics of it are in fine condition soo i would really wanna swap the parts. i think thats the best bet for us cause i actualy have been lookin for the twin turbos and only found one kit and it wasnt complete and it was for $6800, sadness, dont have that much money to drop. plus part of that problem was callaway had to shave the camshafts on all the twin turboed gtv6's to cahnge the compression, and thats really not something that i can do in our garage lol. but yea now that winters almost dun up here we'll be able to drive it to the garage we'll be workin on it at and hopefuly ill have some pics up and more info on what im doing (ill prob go take a pic of it soo we have what it looiked like before we work)

Add your comment to this topic!