Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Intake Manifold

dms018
01-02-2005, 07:01 PM
I have a 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis. My intake manifold is cracked. I have read that this has happened to numerous people. The thing is made of plastic (if you can believe that). Some people have gotten the dealer to replace it for free, and others haven't been so lucky. Has anyone been able to get the dealer to replace it? The normal cost runs anywhere between 800-1200 dollars. I did read that there was a service bulletin in February of 2002 on this item. Please help!

curtis73
01-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Try other venues of repair. The dealer will almost always be the most expensive route, and almost never is it any better.

If you want to go as inexpensive as possible, buy an intake off ebay, buy gaskets and other stuff at a good parts store, then find someone to do the labor. Don't automatically dismiss back-woods shops any more than you should trust a Ford dealer. Use word of mouth and your gut and you rarely go wrong with repair shops. My guess is you could have the whole thing done for $400 or less if you shop really hard, but its just a guess.

Add your comment to this topic!