Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Sylvania Silverstar Headlights

SOLSTER
01-02-2005, 03:20 PM
Can anyone recommend the Sylvania Silverstar Headlights for the '99 rodeo?

Or, does anybody know of problems with these?

I have long felt my headlights are too dim, and would like an improvement.

Thanks,
SOSLTER

TampaMike
01-03-2005, 08:40 AM
I have the Silverstars in my '02 Rodeo LSE and previously in my '98 LS. I find them a big improvement over the stock bulbs. I had tried the 'blue' hue bulbs from some of the aftermarket / performance vendors (including Crutchfield) and they either blew out within weeks, or blew the fuse (even with the correct ratings for the vehicle). So, as a last try, I put in the more expensive Silverstars and have been happy with them. They are a bright white glow, not blue or purple, but sharper & brighter than the yellowish stock bulbs). They have been in my '02 LSE over 2 years now without any problems. I also replaced my fog lamp bulbs with Sylvanias.

TheFugitiveMind
01-04-2005, 03:13 PM
been using then for about 6 months on my 01 passport. they work wonders! worth the cash!

Tom01Rodeo
01-09-2005, 12:25 PM
I still have the stock bulbs but it seems one in five cars will flash their brights at me even though I'm on low beams. Any one else have this problem? Its very annoying.

I may need to adjust the headlights. Anyone done this before?

Ryan- how about a procedure for your faq?

SOLSTER
01-09-2005, 12:34 PM
I still have the stock bulbs but it seems one in five cars will flash their brights at me even though I'm on low beams. Any one else have this problem? Its very annoying.

I may need to adjust the headlights. Anyone done this before?

Ryan- how about a procedure for your faq?

EASY, grab a philips head, there are three adjustment screws that you access from the front looking right into the headlight, at least that's how it works on my '99. Mine came pointing to low, I adusted up, but still need something better.

Finally, something a pc geek can answer! But don't expect any transmission replacement answers fom me ;-)

thanks for the recomendations on the sylverstars!

megavolt121
01-10-2005, 03:27 PM
EASY, grab a philips head, there are three adjustment screws that you access from the front looking right into the headlight, at least that's how it works on my '99. Mine came pointing to low, I adusted up, but still need something better.

Finally, something a pc geek can answer! But don't expect any transmission replacement answers fom me ;-)

thanks for the recomendations on the sylverstars!

which screws? take a pic, ur a self proclaimed pc geek right? ;)

amigo-2k
01-10-2005, 04:18 PM
http://www.ehow.com/how_112704_adjust-headlights.html

I don't know if this will help, it is pretty generic.

SOLSTER
01-10-2005, 09:51 PM
which screws? take a pic, ur a self proclaimed pc geek right? ;)

seriously? You mean simply looking directly at the headlight for the screws is too difficult?? :loser:

Okay, for those that are less mechanically inclined than me (which is hard to believe anyone is), I'll take a pic....... Do you need a pic of what a "philips head" is also :lol:

just jokin' round megavolt :evillol:

SOLSTER
01-10-2005, 10:27 PM
Here's the pic.

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/249475passenger-headlight.jpg

I said 3 screws from memory, actually 2, one for horizontal and one for vertical control. they are on a spring, so lossening or tightening them is how they adjust the lamp.

image looks cr*ppy due to the 80K image file size restriction!

SOLSTER

megavolt121
01-10-2005, 10:35 PM
ah.. i thought those screws were used for holding the lamps in place. that's why i didnt want to mess with them.

amigo-2k
01-10-2005, 10:40 PM
so how do we change the bulb?

megavolt121
01-10-2005, 11:01 PM
Look under the hood, press the tabs to pull out the connectors. Then you'll see a Plastic ring that holds the bulb in place. All you do is unscrew it and the bulb comes right out. I didnt have a problem with taht :)

SOLSTER
01-11-2005, 01:48 AM
The adjustment method above is from memory, and it was 5 years ago I did it, so, use some best judgement, I don't recall if the screws have stop points, or will screw all the way out. Don't let your headlights fall out on account of me....... :lol: But it did work!

I did the bulb replacement once, don't remember the steps, but it was easy and intuitive, again, this comes from a "what's a clutch" pc geek.

megavolt's insructions sound very familaiar to what I remember!

I can look into it if you ask again!

SOLSTER

LuxAeternaDT
09-03-2006, 10:33 PM
I know I'm bringing up an old thread but I just want to tell everyone about my experience with Silverstars. I had my right headlight go a few days ago, and the rodeo with one headlight is really dark. I've never really thought the stock headlights were good so I figured since one went out I could swap the stock bulbs for something better. I picked up a pair of Sylvania Silverstar 9004ST headlights and wow what a difference. These headlights are definately worth the $40 for the pair and a big improvement over stock. Now they are more of a solid white then a yellowish white. I believe the stock headlights were Sylvania 9004's. Just wanted to give everyone the review, hope this helps.

jimwelsh
09-04-2006, 12:48 AM
Get Silverstars. I had them in my 87 Trooper, and when my Trooper quit, I put them in my 99 Rodeo. Makes quite a difference.
Jim

Ramblin Fever
09-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Agreed - just put in a set myself about a week ago.

SOLSTER
07-31-2009, 02:01 PM
I finally lost a bulb, and went with the Silverstars, what an improvement :thumbsup:

I live down a rural road now, and it was an actual necessity to get these :worshippy

FL 3.2L
08-03-2009, 02:22 PM
I need to do this. They were so much better in my Jeep and the Rodeo lights are pretty weak.

or1968
08-09-2009, 07:28 PM
If you really what bright go HID, i've got them on my 1999 rodeo for two years now no problem. got them on e-bay about 175.00 plug and play.

864Phillip
08-24-2009, 08:54 PM
Had the UltraSiverstar lights in the truck for about a Year. Love them and even cleaned the outer head light covers. Worth the 50 and would do it again.

FL 3.2L
09-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Finally did the swap. Found the Silver Star Ultras on eBay for about $16 for the pair. They are $35 in the local big box parts stores, I think. Just looking at the headlights you see a whiter light. The daughter doesn't seem to notice much difference, though. Eh.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SYLVANIA-SILVERSTAR-ULTRA-HEADLIGHT-BULBS-9004-SU-2-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQha shZitem35a3aaf83fQQitemZ230379157567QQptZMotorsQ5f CarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Even cheaper. Just make sure they give you the Ultras.

Add your comment to this topic!