1991 Honda Accord whining sound

negativecreep934
01-02-2005, 12:32 PM
I just bought a '91 Honda Accord with 88,000 miles for only $3,200. I took the car to a mechanic before I purchased it so he could look it over. The mechanic said that the only two problems with the car is an overtightned timing belt and an oil drip from a broken seal in the oil pan. I was wondering if any of you know if a whining sound from the engine upon accelerating up to about 40 mph cruising speed would be a symfrom an overtightened timing belt. After about 40 mph the sound dies out and i dont hear it again until i stop and pick up speed again. The sound ONLY happens on acceleration, not while just ideling or staying at a constant speed. If it is the timing belt is it something I could easily loosen the tension from or would it be better to just take it to a mechanic. How much would a mechanic charge on average to fix the timing belt tension and to reseal the oil pan and change the oil in the process? Thanks for your time.

AccordCodger
01-02-2005, 07:07 PM
My expert colleagues can probably give you betetr info here, but -----
I was under the impression that the timing belt had an automatic tensioner, so theer isn't any "overtightening" involved.
Second, the oil pan GASKET MIGHT be leaking, but I doubt it. The oil seals are another matter. The one that SHOULD have been changed with the timing belt (was it, by the way -- recently?) and the "rear main" seal are the most likely culprits. The rear main is a bigger problem - involves dropping the transmission.

The whining noise is hard to diagnose without actually hearing it. Can you figure out whether it's from the engine compartment, or somewhere else?

Only advice for now - DON'T take it back to the same mechanic to fix it.

Supra24valve
02-03-2005, 06:19 PM
I had a 91 EX a year ago. It had that same type of whine after I had the t-belt replaced. The mechanic said he always tighten the belt a little tighter do to the new belt stetching. That what he said.

Add your comment to this topic!