99 silverado 4x4 abs brake problem

TPyles
01-02-2005, 09:25 AM
I have a 1999 extended cab 4x4 short box with 205,000 miles. The truck is in excellent shape and hasnt given me a lot of problems yet. The ABS and brake light have come on and wont go off. The ABS is not functioning but the brakes work fine. I replaced the front hub sensors and cleaned the mounting areas for same. The front brakes are in decent shape and the rotors are fine. I have not taken the back brakes apart yet. When the lights came on they were intermitent, would come on a while and then go out, but they stay on all the time for the last month or so. Any suggestions on what to shoot for next to trouble shoot this problem? Thanks for your time!

GMMerlin
01-02-2005, 09:55 AM
I would say the most important thing you can do is have the codes pulled...There are about 30 DTCs related to the ABS system.
You may not have a sensor problem, but an electrical issue with the system.

TPyles
01-02-2005, 02:16 PM
Hey thanks, after I posted this I went out in the garage and worked on this for a while. I disconnected the electrical fittings to the ABS pump on the frame rail and cleaned them with contact cleaner and blew with compressed air. The lights went out and keeping my fingers crossed everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks

skipr
01-03-2005, 04:55 PM
Hey thanks, after I posted this I went out in the garage and worked on this for a while. I disconnected the electrical fittings to the ABS pump on the frame rail and cleaned them with contact cleaner and blew with compressed air. The lights went out and keeping my fingers crossed everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks

Great job! You fixed it and learned something at the same time.

pies
02-20-2005, 11:05 AM
thanks tpyles, i just got my truck back from gm after the recall on the wheel sensors. my abs light is still on, they told me abs modules is shot. gm wants 1250 bucks for a new one. i will try your fix first. my abs module has 3 plugs on it, did you remove all 3 and clean them.

Sonny01
02-21-2005, 03:14 PM
Pies,
Gavin is THE man to talk to about ABS problems. He is at http://www.circuitsolutions.info/ He saved me about $1500.00 over what the factory wanted. My truck was throwing a code that indicated my ABS pump was out plus the dealer said that I needed a new EBCM (electronic brake control module). Gavin made sure my EBCM unit was working correctly and sold me a working ABS pump after he re-did the wiring. It's a good idea to have him go over the EBCM anyway because like so many things from Chevy it's underbuilt and probably will give you problems. There is a problem with the ABS pump wiring that makes it corrode and make an open circuit. Removing the EBCM is easy if you can get to the bolts that hold it on thru all the junk that collect on top of them, plus they rust...I got two out and had to have the others cut out. Anyway...getting the ABS system to work is not all that hard so go to Gavin's website and it will answer a lot of your questions better then I can.
Sonny01

pies
02-22-2005, 08:01 AM
thanks sonny, i will check it out. i have had it with the sealerships.

Add your comment to this topic!