Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Jetta Alarm system ... HELP!!

focus123
01-01-2005, 09:37 PM
I'm in a bit of a pinch and need some help ... About 6 months ago, the alarm system on my 98 Jetta Wolfberg edition suddenly stopped working. Basically, when I turn the key in the driver's door lock, the other doors will not lock and the alarm will not set. Also, when I unlock the door, again the other door locks would not unlock. No big problem really ... I figured it was a sensor or switch in the door and I would fix it when I could. And since then, I've just locked and unlocked either manually or using the dash toggle.

Here's the real problem: Today, when I went to pick my car up from the mechanic's garage where he just replaced my clutch, I got in the car (the doors were not locked) to try starting it and nothing ... just as if the alarm was set. I also observed that the stereo was on 'safe' mode and the clock was wrong. Obviously, he had pulled the battery cable. Then, I get out of the car and the alarm went off. AND ... It would not reset using the key in the door. He said that he drove my car around and everything functioned normally.

We tried every combination possible of pulling the battery cable and relocking the door and nothing reset the alarm. He found a relay/module up under the dash and pulled it, so the alarm at least stopped blaring with the battery cable on, but now the car will not start. I car-less! Please help. Ray

scooter47
01-03-2005, 01:55 PM
I have a similar problem with my 97 jetta. What I've been doing is just not locking it ever because the alarm goes off every time you open it and even sometimes when the car is just sitting there. However when you take it to the shop or something it will inevitibly get locked at some point. On mine you have to disconnect the battery, turn the key to the on position then hook the battery back up with the key in the on position. Sometimes the alarm will sound...if so just do it again. I also notice that when it is about to work the horn will sound once when the battery is hooked up and then no juice will seem to flow through the car for about 5 minutes. The horn will sound again and at that point you can start the car again. Not exactly scientific but it's worked for me for the last year. What I would really like to do is have the alarm removed entirely.

Hope that helps

boschmann
01-03-2005, 07:20 PM
If you removed the alarm module under the dash you have to connect pins #5 & #6 (red & red/black wires) of the six pin connector to each other so the starter will work.

pharaoh'
03-23-2005, 02:33 AM
Hey guyz, I got the same problem. I was in aparking lot, opened the lock with the key and when I pulled the handle the damn car started to scream like a beast. I took out the battery' cable. Later I figure it out that the cable harnes between the driver's door and the car's frame (the one with a rubber) was damaged. When I opened the rubber I was able to see at least two cables broke down, one of it from the unlocking mechanism. That was the reason the alarm wouldn't stop when unlocking the door with the key. Hope that helps. To be sure I won't be troubled by the alarm system I had disable this alarm but only the horn and the warning lights. Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!