Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 4runner issues!

Hillarie
01-01-2005, 02:37 PM
I have a 1990 SR6 4wd 4runner. Last night I noticed it was feeling a little "jumpy" when I was slowing down at a light. When I got home and put it in park the engine revved like CRAZY! Like up into 3000RPM. If I touch the gas it revs more and stays high. I cut it off and re started it and it was fine. I drove it around the block brought it home and parked it... Same thing.
Anyone able to give me a place to start? The check engine light had come on previously but turned itself off and hasn't come back since.

morowe
01-02-2005, 10:40 AM
What are describing is the early signs of a problem I had. This thread goes over the final results of what I saw happening:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=322385

How many miles do you have on it?

MOR

Hillarie
01-02-2005, 07:15 PM
It has 208000 miles on it but the engine was rebuilt 20000 miles ago.
Today I took it to Autozone to see if they could read any trouble codes. When the guy went to start it, it redlined up at like 9000rpms right when he started it. He cut it off and tried again same deal...

So now the truck is at Autozone, I am at home with my dear sweet dependable Corolla... I am going to have to have the sucker towed to the mechanics tomorrow... I just hope it's an easy fix. We just spent uber-bucks on updating the suspension! :)
But I love this truck!

morowe
01-02-2005, 07:19 PM
I had my transmission rebuilt at 200K it helped with some of the problems. Best of luck with it. If you don't mind sharing, what did you do to update your suspension? That is my next task and I am looking to rebuild the entire thing and bring it up to date.

Thanks,

MOR

Add your comment to this topic!