Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'01 Camry ext. door handle replacement - if/how to remove lock cyl. from old handle

cpowell100
01-01-2005, 02:31 PM
I have tried to replace the broken drivers side exterior handle on the 2001 Camry LE. I was able to remove the complete door panel, and now I'm having a problem. From the inside of the door frame, there are two bolts that secure the lock cylinder to the handle assy (one of these two also serves to secure the handle to the frame in addition to securing the lock cylinder). There is a third mounting bolt on the side opposite from the lock cylinder that secures the handle to the frame (this is no problem). Only one of the two lock cylinder bolts has an access hole where I can use a socket. The other is nearly inaccessible. I could remove it after many turns with an open-end wrench, but when trying to install new one, I can't hold the bolt in place AND get a wrench on it and get the thread started.

Does anybody know if it's better to remove the clip holding the door lock-to-latch rod and the clip prior to unbolting the three bolts? If so, how in the world can I install the three bolts AND THEN get the rod reattached/reclipped?

Please help!

Thanks in advance, Chris

yotatechie04
01-02-2005, 01:45 AM
You can pull the rods to where you can connect them only with the handle not mounted. What I recommend you do, is start the farthest bolt first, get it threaded and then connect the rods, and then tighten them all up.

Add your comment to this topic!