Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need knowlage on B18c

SlvrHB
01-01-2005, 04:56 AM
Please bare with me here. Being the stupid girl that i am i dont totally know everything there is to know on b-series engines. I now have a 98' civic hatch looking to swap in a b18c, now is this the same engine found in a intregra GSR? Would i be better off to save the money for the teg or save the money for the swap. I know the swap may be a bit cheaper for me but whats your guy's opinion on this?

SilverY2KCivic
01-01-2005, 01:51 PM
In all honesty I'd save for the car. The engine is already in there, so it's less hassle off the bat. Plus if I could do it, I'd rather have the car the engine came in originally as that's how the factory meant it to be. There's nothing at all wrong with swapping, but I'd rather have the complete package. :) Good luck eitherway you decide on this. B18 EK (6th gen) hatches are cool stuff though!

britts99si
01-02-2005, 02:45 PM
save honey.. for the car...

civicblumagik021
01-06-2005, 11:04 PM
i am not a girl but i would do the swap because people will underestimate your car thinking it only has a lil factory civic engine in it when it really has a teggy motor in it.. thats what i would do

YukiHime
01-08-2005, 12:43 PM
I thought the EK should use B16B, isn't it?

95VicChik
01-11-2005, 05:08 PM
the b18c1 is GSR, b18c5 is Type-R :bigthumb:..... IMO save for the engine....keep checking out the local yards and u can get the tranny, ecu, and engine for less then 2500...try finding a decent Integra GSR for that much :disappoin: ....there's more fun and respect in the car enthusiast world if u take something that isn't quite as fast as the rest and make it into a beast...in the end you will get more respect and praise for it...u have the perfect oppurtunity for it as well, a hatchback...it's lighter then the integra, and putting the heart of the gsr into it?? Bam mid to high 14 sec car, just like that...guys will worship the ground u walk on :devil: ...in the end it's your decision, good luck to u!

BboyOxygen
01-11-2005, 06:25 PM
the b18c1 is GSR, b18c5 is Type-R :bigthumb:..... IMO save for the engine....keep checking out the local yards and u can get the tranny, ecu, and engine for less then 2500...try finding a decent Integra GSR for that much :disappoin: ....there's more fun and respect in the car enthusiast world if u take something that isn't quite as fast as the rest and make it into a beast...in the end you will get more respect and praise for it...u have the perfect oppurtunity for it as well, a hatchback...it's lighter then the integra, and putting the heart of the gsr into it?? Bam mid to high 14 sec car, just like that...guys will worship the ground u walk on :devil: ...in the end it's your decision, good luck to u!

She's right. I'm not a girl either but I just wanted to say that she know's what she's talking about.

People underestimate my car all the time. That's one of the reasons I went supercharger. Unless I'm at WOT nobody can hear it. My exhaust isn't too loud either so I get a lot of idiots that think they will smoke me.

GSR motors are awesome for everything. Type-r's are good for all motor but you can make way more power out of a FI GSR moter and still be reliable.

P.S. I beat pretty much everything on the road so... yeah..

JDMsweetz
01-13-2005, 01:02 AM
EK, nice. I'm starting to realize that the EG business is getting played out. Anyhow, I would say go fo rthe motor swap, for the obvious reasons listed all above. However, have you decided if you're going to build a N/A motor or F/I? Eiether the b18c1 or 5 will get you pretty high compression, too high for boost for myself, yet too low for an all motor set up. Sum up future ideas and goals first, then you have a better shot of deciding which motor to go from.

My opinion: LS/b20VTEC it or ls/b20 turbo it.

If you really want fun, k20 it or k20/k24.

Keep us posted and best of luck. :)

OonePrelude
01-17-2005, 03:31 PM
I have a friend that has a hatch with a GSR swap. All he has is an intake and he beat me by few car lengths so yeah I'd say it's a mid 14 sec car. I know I'll be hitting that too once I get rid of my aging clutch and then it'll be rematch time.:evillol:

95civicgsr
01-17-2005, 09:39 PM
id go with the swap as well. if you wanted a little more power on a budget you could get some ctr pistons,a set of s2s1 cams or buddy clubs. it just depends on your budget and how much you like your car. if you dont care much for the car then sell it and get the teg. i like the civic better than the teg so i built a gsr and swapped it into my civic. gl and keep us updated.

98StangGT
02-25-2005, 09:45 PM
If you like your civic but want the extra power of the B18 then do the swap. If you like integra then...buy it. And yes that engine is out of a GSR and will put out about 170-180 ponies and 150-160 ft-lbs.

95VicChik
02-26-2005, 09:39 PM
If you like your civic but want the extra power of the B18 then do the swap. If you like integra then...buy it. And yes that engine is out of a GSR and will put out about 170-180 ponies and 150-160 ft-lbs.

170-180 ponies yes...only 128 ft-lbs torque :)

sonicrex
03-08-2005, 09:42 AM
Go with the B18c swap! Since you already have your Civic, you'll only have to save money for the engine and related components instead of saving up money for a new car. Insurance will be cheaper on the Civic as well.

Good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!