1998 Air Bag Light

jconklin2000
12-31-2004, 10:44 PM
I have no idea how to get my air bag light from coming on. It randomly lights up after I drive. I dont even have to go over bumps, but it comes on, and I dont know how to shut it off. Please help me.

blazee
01-01-2005, 02:29 AM
The light comes on when there is a problem with the system.

blazee
01-01-2005, 02:30 AM
If it bothers you too much put some black tape over it.

cobra1
01-01-2005, 03:05 AM
If it bothers you too much put some black tape over it.

bad advice......

@ blazee

you'll need to have that looked at.... sounds like a fault in the system, or damaged wiring. worse case senario is air bag inflation while driving.

blazee
01-01-2005, 03:42 AM
bad advice......

@ blazee

you'll need to have that looked at.... sounds like a fault in the system, or damaged wiring. worse case senario is air bag inflation while driving.

just a joke read the post above it

rlith
01-01-2005, 09:37 AM
Usually the airbag light comes on when there is a break in the circuit... Check both your air bag sensors that are mounted to the bottom of your rad support and make sure they're plugged in. Check the one in the back. Check the fuse. Baring all that, take it in for scanning.

azee
01-01-2005, 09:47 AM
Had the same thing on a 97, it was the DERM unit, which is the computer for the air bag system.

ricksza
01-01-2005, 02:05 PM
There are too many componants in the SIR system to randomly check. Put on a scanner to at least find out which circuit is causing the fault. give me the code, I'll give you the diagnostics.

Allbert
01-05-2005, 03:11 PM
I'm assuming the scanners they use at AutoZone to retrieve ECM codes will not work for the airbag system. Is this correct? If it is, is there another cheap or free alternative to the GM dealership?

rlith
01-05-2005, 03:48 PM
I'm assuming the scanners they use at AutoZone to retrieve ECM codes will not work for the airbag system. Is this correct? If it is, is there another cheap or free alternative to the GM dealership?

It still should pull the airbag codes...

Allbert
04-18-2005, 09:47 AM
Know this is an old post, but did you ever resolve your air bag issue? My '98 has had the same problem since I bought it used last November, but here lately it seems like the light comes on more frequently and stays on longer than it did before. I'm curious to know what the most common failures for our trucks are that cause the air bag light to come on. Any help would be appreciated.

coryhawkins
04-19-2005, 12:04 AM
I'd like to know too. MY 98 Blazer 4x4 is doing the same thing. I can lock and unlock the power doors sometimes, and it goes away. It seems to come back at random.

Allbert
04-19-2005, 03:14 PM
For what it is worth, I talked to a GM tech yesterday about this issue, and he said it sounds like either the SDM (a.k.a. the airbag computer, sometimes also called a DERM) or the connections to the SDM. He said that this part is under the seat in the 98. I haven't taken my seat out to have a look at it yet, but if anyone else has, please let me know how things went. BTW, the power door lock thing seems to have an intermittent influence on my air bag light problem as well.

rlith
04-19-2005, 03:43 PM
Actually it's not under the seat (at least I've nbever seen it there in any 98+ truck I've worked on (tons))... Usually it's under the center console on the hump..

Allbert
04-20-2005, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the correction... glad I didn't take my seat and carpet out for no reason.

rlith
04-20-2005, 09:23 AM
on the 95-97 it's in the passenger side kickpanel....(just for reference)

coryhawkins
04-20-2005, 11:45 AM
on the 95-97 it's in the passenger side kickpanel....(just for reference)

I found a website where a mechanical engineer does crash tests of cars (I think), and it indicates that the 98 Blazer's module is under the center console in front: http://www.crushanalysis.com/1998%20Make%20Model.asp

Allbert
04-21-2005, 08:17 AM
Actually it's not under the seat (at least I've nbever seen it there in any 98+ truck I've worked on (tons))... Usually it's under the center console on the hump..

Yesterday afternoon, I removed the center console to get a look at the SDM in my '98 2wd 4dr, but I could not find the SDM... just some nice clean carpet under there. Do you think some '98s might still have it in the passenger side kick panel?

rlith
04-21-2005, 09:14 AM
Yesterday afternoon, I removed the center console to get a look at the SDM in my '98 2wd 4dr, but I could not find the SDM... just some nice clean carpet under there. Do you think some '98s might still have it in the passenger side kick panel?

Could be, 98 had the old style airbag and not the system 2 airbag, wouldn't hurt to check... Just pull the panel..

ricksza
04-21-2005, 10:28 AM
Should be under the carpet under the console.

Allbert
04-22-2005, 08:25 AM
Could be, 98 had the old style airbag and not the system 2 airbag, wouldn't hurt to check... Just pull the panel..

This may sound stupid, but the kick panel is the little plastic piece just to the right of a passenger's foot, right?

rlith
04-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Yep

Allbert
04-26-2005, 09:07 AM
After talking to a dealer tech about the air bag light in my '98 Blazer, I ended up taking the driver seat out and looking under it for the air bag computer... I think now I must have misunderstood the tech, because the computer was not there... maybe he said something about pre-tensioners instead (I didn't think they had those in '98 though). Anyway, I had to disconnect the wire going to the seat to get it out of the truck, and of course I plugged it back in real good when I put the seat back in, and since then the air bag light hasn't come back on yet. That was Friday afternoon, and for the whole week previous, the light would come on every trip at least one or two times. I'm certainly not claiming to believe that what I did "fixed" the air bag light issue, but I thought I'd put up this post to see if anyone else has had a similar experience or perhaps if someone can tell if what I did could have been in any way related to my problem (???).

coryhawkins
04-26-2005, 01:25 PM
Well, I can make my light go on and off at times by doing anything on the driver's door power panel (like lock/unlock doors, adjust power mirrors, etc.). That makes me think it's just a loose connector/wiring issue. I honestly thought it was that gigantic connector that goes through the firewall on the driver's side (the bajillion-pin one so big it has to have a bolt in it to hold it in). If it's one under the seat, that's much easier to deal with.

It makes sense that if you had a poor connection there, and the airbag wires pass through that point (potentially for sensors to reach the SDM/control module), that it would possibly fix it if you connected it better. I'll try that on mine when I get a chance - had no idea there was a connector under the seat. I assume you disconnected the battery first, right? I never mess with anything that could be airbag-related with power to it.

Allbert
04-26-2005, 04:07 PM
Well, I can make my light go on and off at times by doing anything on the driver's door power panel (like lock/unlock doors, adjust power mirrors, etc.). That makes me think it's just a loose connector/wiring issue. I honestly thought it was that gigantic connector that goes through the firewall on the driver's side (the bajillion-pin one so big it has to have a bolt in it to hold it in). If it's one under the seat, that's much easier to deal with.

It makes sense that if you had a poor connection there, and the airbag wires pass through that point (potentially for sensors to reach the SDM/control module), that it would possibly fix it if you connected it better. I'll try that on mine when I get a chance - had no idea there was a connector under the seat. I assume you disconnected the battery first, right? I never mess with anything that could be airbag-related with power to it.

Well, I didn't disconnect the battery when I took out the seat, but I did pull the SIR fuse. The wiring to the seat looked like it just would have gone to the seatbelt latch sensor; it didn't have the yellow tag or any special retention features like the normal airbag system wiring does, so I didn't take the extra precaution disconnecting the battery this time, but if I were doing anything that I thought might fire the airbag, I definitely would.

coryhawkins
04-26-2005, 04:13 PM
Looking at the wiring diagrams from Alldata, the SDM is definitely under the console right between the driver's and passenger's seats. There are multiple other connectors involved, and one is under the driver's seat at the seatbelt (it seems to check to see if your seatbelt is connected or not). I guess if you didn't have your seatbelt on, it wouldn't deploy the airbag in an accident for fear of breaking your neck. Maybe you fixed a connection issue there?

I'm getting more afraid of this airbag system the more I read about it in Alldata. There's a TSB that states that if your airbag light is on or flashing, the airbag could not deploy in an accident (OK with me), could deploy with a minor tap of a wreck (bad), or could deploy with no wreck at all (holy moly)! I would check the code to see if it has one, but you have to have GM-specific body code tester to get the B codes (all I can get are the P codes). I'm seriously thinking of taking mine in to the dealership to get this fixed (after I check all connections I can find).

Allbert
04-26-2005, 04:48 PM
Looking at the wiring diagrams from Alldata, the SDM is definitely under the console right between the driver's and passenger's seats. There are multiple other connectors involved, and one is under the driver's seat at the seatbelt (it seems to check to see if your seatbelt is connected or not). I guess if you didn't have your seatbelt on, it wouldn't deploy the airbag in an accident for fear of breaking your neck. Maybe you fixed a connection issue there?

I'm getting more afraid of this airbag system the more I read about it in Alldata. There's a TSB that states that if your airbag light is on or flashing, the airbag could not deploy in an accident (OK with me), could deploy with a minor tap of a wreck (bad), or could deploy with no wreck at all (holy moly)! I would check the code to see if it has one, but you have to have GM-specific body code tester to get the B codes (all I can get are the P codes). I'm seriously thinking of taking mine in to the dealership to get this fixed (after I check all connections I can find).

Well, what you've said raises my confidence that my issue might only have been a marginal connection at the seatbelt latch wiring harness. If the airbag light comes on again anytime soon, I'll be sure to post. If not, maybe this was it.

BlazerBoyLT98
04-26-2005, 08:06 PM
Guess what? My 98LT just started flashing the airbag light!!!!!! I rear ended someone about 3 months ago and just did some cosmetic damage, no bent metal. Well I was going over a very bumpy road and I noticed it come on. I was just thinking it was the bumpy road. Now it comes on maybe once every few days for a minute or two then shuts off. So it has come on when I have gone over bumpy roads and on the highway. Think it is something I need to have the dealer check out?

coryhawkins
04-27-2005, 02:30 AM
I would surely get it checked out if I were you. You don't want it deploying on you while driving. You may have a stuck sensor (or two) from the impact. If it registers two or more sensors at a time (say from hitting a really hard bump that would have normally only triggered one sensor, but you've got a stuck-on one), the bag can deploy and cause a problem if you're driving.

Seems we all have problems and no real way to fix them besides paying through the nose (potentially) at the dealership. I guess it's worth it to not have an explosive device blow up in my face while driving, though. If I didn't die in the wreck that would no doubt happen after a deployment, I'd have a heart attack. I wish I had a GM scan tool to get the code(s) to help narrow down the problem.

Allbert
04-27-2005, 08:33 AM
Guess what? My 98LT just started flashing the airbag light!!!!!! I rear ended someone about 3 months ago and just did some cosmetic damage, no bent metal. Well I was going over a very bumpy road and I noticed it come on. I was just thinking it was the bumpy road. Now it comes on maybe once every few days for a minute or two then shuts off. So it has come on when I have gone over bumpy roads and on the highway. Think it is something I need to have the dealer check out?

If you end up getting it fixed at the dealership or doing it yourself, please come back and let us know what it was. As for my truck, it's been 4 days since I fiddled with the connection under my seat and the air bag light still hasn't come back on. I've been playing with my door locks on the (bumpy) ride home from work to see if anything will make it come on like it used to, but so far so good. I would be thrilled if it turned out my problem was just a marginal connection to the seatbelt sensor.

Allbert
04-29-2005, 08:03 AM
Light came back on yesterday. :-(

BlazerBoyLT98
05-01-2005, 04:43 PM
Light came back on yesterday. :-(

Sorry to hear, I am thinking of bringing mine to the dealer very soon. I will let you know

Add your comment to this topic!