Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

what does code P1406 for Rodeo 97 mean ?

Jay97Rodeo
12-31-2004, 02:58 PM
My check engine came on and when I took it to Advance Auto for a read, It showed P1406 "Manufacturer Controlled Auxiliary Emissions Controls". What does this mean ? I didn't get any meaningfull hits on google for this code. It seems the general advise is to ignore it.

I have to go for emission test in couple of week. will this code cause issues for the test since in NC, the test is done by reading the on-board computer.

many thanks
Jay

anthonyn
12-31-2004, 04:50 PM
My check engine came on and when I took it to Advance Auto for a read, It showed P1406 "Manufacturer Controlled Auxiliary Emissions Controls". What does this mean ? I didn't get any meaningfull hits on google for this code. It seems the general advise is to ignore it.

I have to go for emission test in couple of week. will this code cause issues for the test since in NC, the test is done by reading the on-board computer.

many thanks
Jay

P1406 = Isuzu EGR Valve Pintle Position Circuit.

You just need to remove and clean the EGR valve and tube. Then, remove neg bat cable for 20 minutes to clear code. Lots of posts on cleaning EGR valve, like this:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=329006

Jay97Rodeo
01-06-2005, 02:19 PM
thanks for the response....

I talked to a isuzu mechanic on the phone and he says with this error code , the EGR valve has to be replaced and port holes cleaned. accordingl to him, cleaning the EGR valve will not help since the pintle is stuck in the valve.

I am not very mechanically literate. is the mechanic's advise valid ?
thanks

Slade901
01-06-2005, 03:01 PM
What do you have to loose?
Clean it and clean the port holes on the intake manifold side and on the exhaust side.

amigo-2k
01-06-2005, 03:37 PM
99% of the time it only needs to be cleaned. A can of carb cleaner cost 3-5 bucks. You Isuzu dealer will charge you 200 bucks for the part and install ......

http://www.geocities.com/endre_rl/isuzufaq.htm#faq1

rodeo02
01-06-2005, 05:12 PM
The 1993-1997 EGR system is completely different than the 1998+ EGR system. The 1993-1997 seems to have far less (carboning) problems. Like Ryan says, remove the valve & try to clean it up. Also check the vacuum line that goes to the dome & check the vac lines to/from the transducer that send the contol vac to the EGR valve.
G/luck
Joel

Jay97Rodeo
01-06-2005, 06:48 PM
thanks again for all your response...

I was going to try clean the EGR valve but I was curious about the mechanic's diagnosis.

This is the 2 EGR valve problem in 7 yrs. The dealer replaced the EGR the last time. This was before I found this forum. I want to be smart this time and not blindly listen to the dealers esp since the replacement of EGR is costing $450......

amigo-2k
01-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Sure after 7 years, it is no surprise that it is carboned up and with a stick valve (cleaning it every 30k is the best way to go; quick and cheap). Smile after you fix this yourself and buy yourself a beer and enjoy!

Add your comment to this topic!