Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Misleading Indicators

sojourn
12-30-2004, 11:22 PM
Hello, newbie here in need of advice.

I have a 97 Camry, ca. 70,000 miles--never had a moment's trouble with the car. I've had all routine maintenance performed at recommended intervals.

On Oct 25, I was rear ended at quite a clip--$3000 worth of body damage, but no apparent mechanical issues. On Oct 28, the "check" indicator came on. I didn't connect it to the accident and had my mechanic look at it. He diagnosed it as an evaporator solenoid and fixed it (lotta money). At the same time, he installed a battery. A few days later, the check indicator came back on and they diagnosed it as a vapor canister issue. I didn't have it fixed, not trusting the mechanic. A few days later, I had several episodes of the car losing all power a few seconds after I turned it on. The clock would go off and the radio stations would be rest and the check indicator would go off--but go back on a few days later. I took it to mechanic # 2, who said the power problems were simply a result of loose terminals on the battery that had just been installed. They tightened them, and the power problems went away. When the check indicator came on again, they diagnosed it as a vapor canister issue and fixed it (lotta money). On Dec 26, the check indicator came on again. At the same time (and occurring only when I turned the headlights on), the rear headlight indicator went on (even though my rear headlights were fine) and the R for REVERSE indicator stayed lit even when I was in Park or Drive. Mechanic diagnosed it as a neutral safety switch and fixed it (lotta money). One day later, the check indicator and rear headlight and R indicators were lit again. I can ill afford the money this is costing me and I am heartsick after dealing with this for two months. I tried to get reimbursement from the rear ender's insurance but they said that the evaporator solenoid and vapor canister and neutral safety switch were beyond the reach of a rear end impact. I welcome advice, comments, etc. Thanks much.

alphalanos
12-30-2004, 11:25 PM
if you really cant afford it, and its but a few lighting problems not affecting the cars driving ability, i would say just leave it. now you must use your own judgement on this because its your car, but sometimes things arent really "broken" if you get what i mean. shops rip people off, thats the bottom line.

Neinta
01-04-2005, 03:09 PM
my CEL comes on with the evaporator solenoid and the vapor canister... Also after a rear end impact. The sensors for these can be affected by shifts in the components under your car (sorry not mechanically inclined so I can't say exactly what.)

Basic fact is that the sensor malfunctions don't affect drivability, and my mechanic couldn't find anything actually wrong so they weren't replaced. I just have to have the CEL reset every few months.

Your mechanic is taking you for a ride.

Add your comment to this topic!