Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 blazer won't start. problem started during freezing weather.

LukeBickers
12-30-2004, 11:12 PM
96 blazer 4wd........

6 days ago, it took a lot of cranking to get started, but finally did start. the next day, nothing but cranking. ever since then it won't start at all. the outside temp the first 3 days was around 0-10. the last three days the weather shot up to 40-50. i figured that when this weather was around for a little while it would start right up, but no such luck. it won't turn over at all.

i have charged the battery, the fuel filter was changed about 5 months ago, so were the plugs, wires and everthing else involved in a 100k tune up.

if i dump gas straight into it, it starts right up and dies immediately after starting. so, i'm assuming that something is wrong with the fuel distribution.

ideas?

wolfox
12-31-2004, 12:46 AM
Drygas... dump a bottle into the tank on a warmer day. If you can get it to start, keep it running for at least half an hour to give the drying agent time to emulsify the water in the tank. Also, in cold weather, never let the tank drop lower than 1/4 down from full. I top up every day in winter, even if it's just 2 or 3 bucks. Air collects moisture, and when it gets cold out, the moisture will condense and settle in the bottom of your tank. Get enough water, and you have a fuel starvation problem.

Try the dry gas and *by gods* keep safety in mind when playing with fuel or starting fluids in the intakes of these trucks.

EDIT: Of note - try to limit the use of drying agents. I hear, but do not have proof that they sometimes contain a gas-line anti-freeze in addition to alcohol. This may cause problems...

Alcohol is the active agent here and is *miscable* with water, meaning it bonds TO the water, making it disperse and stay suspended in the fuel.

Over-use of drying agents with anti-freeze *may* plug catalysts and foul O2 sensors. Try to use an O2 and catalyst safe formulation - *Read* the label to be sure. Use just enough to get the truck running again and keep it topped off in winter. You should be golden!

ricksza
12-31-2004, 05:27 AM
It does sound like a fuel delivery problem. Is the fuel pump running? Did you check fuel pressure or at least check for fuel flow?

Be careful of fuel additives. Most gasolines already have some alcohol in them to take care of the water on their end. Too much and they will start to desolve the plastic tank and lines. Safest thing is keep putting fresh fuel in truck from high volume station.

blazee
12-31-2004, 03:33 PM
After it has been sitting a while, turn all accessaries off (ex. radio, AC, heat, defrost) everything. turn the key to ON not start, just ON....Do you here the buzzing coming from the back of the blazer? That is the sound of a healthy fuel pump. If the fuel pump is working try drygas. If you don't here any buzzing.... That means the fuel pump isn't working...check the relays. Keep your mind open while searching for the problem, The weather could just be a coincidence.

Add your comment to this topic!