All-wheel truck suitable for all seasons especially winter

helen
03-06-2002, 06:32 PM
Hi,

I'm in the midst of deciding on a suitable vehicle for myself. I was thinking about a truck ..an all-wheel drive ..something that's suitable for 'all-season-driving' ..especially winter ..relatively low maintenance ..not too pricey ..I have no other thoughts at this point ..just browsing and searching ...Can anyone suggest some models and makes I should be considering?

Thanks.

THE4TH
03-08-2002, 04:10 AM
acura mdx... v6 vtec.... gotta love it...
oh and btw 28 cows go into each one and none come out..

helen
03-09-2002, 03:42 PM
Thank you very much for your suggestion :) ..Acura MDX is a very appealing truck and seems to be a good fit ...I have a question, tho' -Acura MDX is not an all-wheel drive ...it's either part-time four-wheel-drive or full-time 4WD -which is it??

...I just read about AWD, part-time 4WD and full-time 4WD from:

http://www.womanmotorist.com/ftrs/mb-4-wheel-drives-2k-01.shtml

Honestly, that article added more confusion as at this point, I don't know what is what anymore?! ...Anyways, before reading that article, I've had the impression that AWD is the best option for safer winter driving. Is this right?? And, if this is the case, is Acura MDX still my best bet, in your opinion?

Your feedback would definitely help.

Thanks.

Thunda Downunda
03-09-2002, 05:11 PM
Hi Helen, here's my 2c worth

The 4wd system Honda uses is where power is normally directed to the front wheels (just like a normal front-drive sedan) UNTIL the front wheels start to slip, then power is progressively and automatically diverted to the rear wheels as well, or more so - until traction is regained by the front, when it reverts to it's normal front-drive bias.
With these systems, for example, in dry conditions up to 85% or so of power is usually chanelled to the front wheels, with only 15% to the rear. When the front wheels start slipping, the car 'detects' this, and that balance is gradually and almost instantaneously reversed, automatically. Do you see?

Not a bad 4wd system for snow driving, and totally automatic .. but hopeless for sand and mud. (Ask why if you want).

I read a 'long term' test (40,000 miles) by Car & Driver magazine on the MDX. They were less than impressed by repeatedly having to get the front wheels re-aligned, although only driving it on sealed roads - seems it couldn't cope with Michigan potholes. Almost all of their long term test cars (4wd or otherwise) haven't required that work before. Design-wise, I think it's fair to say the MDX is in essence a Honda Accord, but with a 'tall wagon' body, and a simple light-duty 4wd system added to the rear.

For me, it's hard to see any real advatages from it over conventional 4wd minivans (eg Chrysler, GM, Ford)
.. except in 'perceived image'

I don't know about resale rates over there

For safety, having proper snow tyres fitted before you get stuck or slither is more effective than having any whiz-bang 4wd vehicle running on summer tyres - eg: tyres are the determinant, and a front-drive sedan/wagon on high quality winter tyres gets better traction than a 4wd on summer tyres

helen
03-09-2002, 07:55 PM
Thanks for your feedback ..With that, I've managed to narrow down my choices to 4:

1. Acura MDX

2. Dodge Durango

3. GMC Envoy

4. Infiniti QX4

Can you help me pick one ...based on value-for-money if not anything else??

Really appreciate this :)

Thunda Downunda
03-10-2002, 02:57 AM
Sorry, I can't help you with value for money - I don't know the list prices.

None of them are sold here

Out of the 4 you've mentioned, I guess the Japanese units would be less truck-like. The GMC is a new design with a terrific engine and the Infiniti might be preferable to the Honda?

It's always important to consider retained value as part of the value for money equasion

helen
03-10-2002, 10:39 PM
..ok ...thanks very much!:)

THE4TH
03-22-2002, 09:11 AM
if your gonna get a durrango get the 5.9 rt
it's sweet.... a nice ride too i test drove one but i'm a car man ..

Add your comment to this topic!