Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1988-3800 Keeps Blowing Cam Sensors

Houston_Locksmith
12-29-2004, 02:04 PM
Hello again gang. My mother has a 1988 model with about 100,000 miles that is having a problem passing the emissions test for its yearly state inspection. The car has the VIN#C 3800 engine. The test results were:

(1) HC(PPM) Standard-152, Current Reading-359 Fail High and Low RPM
(2) CO% Standard-0.97, Current Reading-9.87 Fail High and Low RPM
(3) CO2% Current Reading-8.3
(4) NOx Passed Well at 80 PPM
(5) O2% is 0.4
(6) Dilution% Standard-Less Than 6, Current Reading-18.2
(7) Gas Cap Integrity Passed

After it failed she brought the car to me and I pulled the dipstick and smelled strong gas in the oil and the computer had a hard code 41 (cam sensor). I checked the following concerning the gas in the oil and code 41:

Fuel Filter
Fuel Pressure and Flow
Fuel Pressure Regulator Diaphram For Leaks
Vapor Canister (Couldn't Tell Much Though)
Injector Leak Down Test
Cleaned Throttle Body and Tested the IAC
Checked the DIS ( All Six Firing Blue)
Changed Oil and Filter Twice
Changed Cam Sensor
Added Fuel Injector Cleaner and Drove A Few Days With 93 Octane Gas

Other things replaced in the past 6 months:
Plugs, Plug Wires, Coil Pack, Fuel Filter.

The second test result which I just saw didn't change. The tech said she might try replacing the O2 Sensor which I just did. She insisted, you know how mothers can be LOL. The SES light was on again, code 41.

Concerning the Code 41 (Cam Sensor), I have replaced the Cam Sensor three times in the last 6 to 8 months. The SES light will stay out for a week or so and come right back on and stay on until I replace the sensor again, then it will do the same thing, last a week or so, and go bad again.

Could the code 41 be causing the high emissions and gas in the oil?
Could the ECM be blowing the Cam Sensor? This makes number 4 now.

I appreciate the help. The man said he'd test it one more time for free. I have to leave for a while to make a car key, a few hours. This is making me pull my hair out.

Thanks again.
Ed

Houston_Locksmith
12-29-2004, 02:20 PM
Oh, BTW, there isn't any noticable change in performance with the SES light on or off. I don't see any smoke at the tail pipe. It accelerates fine, scratching bald spot.

Ed

chevelleman
01-17-2005, 11:04 PM
the problem is probably not the camshaft sensor inself but with the magnet which is attached to the camshaft gear which triggers the camshaft sensor

it is common on these engines that the magnet will fall off or become too weak to register a good camshaft signal causing the code 41 without the camshaft signal the ECM wont be able to put the injectors in time with the opening of the intake valves therefore they will be gang fired where the front three go at the same time then the back three go at the same time causing increased emissions and lower power. to fix the problem you will have to replace the magnet by removing the timing cover which can get very involved with this motor if you dont have help especially getting the timing cover to go back on because you have to try and get the oil pump to line up with the crank shaft while wresting with everything else its a fun one for sure

Add your comment to this topic!