Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

COILOVERS vs SPRINGS

TeamFL1
12-28-2004, 11:25 AM
HI, i have a friend thats looking to lower his car. he looking lower it as much as possible for street. I looking at the eibach pro kit lowing springs, his looking over coilovers. i suggest that he get the pro kit, because it fits over the stock shocks, but it effects the shocks life. the coilovers, i don't know much about it, but his don't really need it. cause he don't race. or even go to shows, or drive fast. will coilovers make noise? i don't know

CBFryman
12-28-2004, 12:45 PM
a good set of coil overs wont make noise. why is he loweing his car if he isnt looking for increased performance :eek7: ? seems like he just wants it to look good in which case he should just hack a few inches out of his stock springs :cwm27:

no seriously. if he doesnt care about handleing or performance at all hewill even get that toe in look like all the F1 cars have....

Note: I am not seriously reccomending doing this.

TeamFL1
12-28-2004, 06:43 PM
cuting the springs don't sound like its a good idea. the car might brounce more, i don't know. and its not exact, so rather get the aftermarket springs and save me an whole day cutting the springs, or labor in the shop.

kfoote
12-30-2004, 12:12 PM
For several coilover kits out there (Bilstein PSS/PSS9, H&R), the ride usually ends up being more comfortable, along with better handling, than with a seperate spring/shock combination, because they are better matched to each other. The ride height adjustability also allows for setting the ride height exactly where you want it.

Coilovers though, do require more maintenance and are a lot easier to get wrong if you don't know what you're doing. In many cases, they can also be significantly more expensive than a seperate lowering shock and spring package.

P10DET
12-31-2004, 12:36 AM
HI, i have a friend thats looking to lower his car. he looking lower it as much as possible for street. I looking at the eibach pro kit lowing springs, his looking over coilovers. i suggest that he get the pro kit, because it fits over the stock shocks, but it effects the shocks life. the coilovers, i don't know much about it, but his don't really need it. cause he don't race. or even go to shows, or drive fast. will coilovers make noise? i don't know

So why post this in the racing section?

God, this forum needs a good moderator to move the non-racing posts elsewhere.

Add your comment to this topic!