Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Amp Fuses, I know a bunch of you will know this one

Johannes
12-28-2004, 02:35 AM
I just bought a Pioneer 200W max GM-3000T 2 channel amp. My wiring kit has a 40A fuse on the wire right before the battery. The amp has a 20A fuse on it, and in the instructions it says to purchase the special red battery wire RD-223, which in the instructions looks like a wire that splits off into two 30A fuses, one on each wire, and then comes together to hook up the positive battery terminal. I thought that as long as your fuse on the battery wire is at least as high as the amp fuse then that is good.

Also, how do you think this will sound with one Rockford Fosgate Punch Stage 1 10"... the P110S4. It says recommended enclosure sealed is 0.65 cubic ft. so I'm looking for one around 0.7. Do I have to allow for the displacement of the sub?

Thanks guys...

CBFryman
12-28-2004, 12:32 PM
OK, Correct me if im wrong. the fuse from the Battery to the amp is 40a? and the samp fuse is 20a? the fuse closest to the battery is there to protect the wireing and over all cars electrical system from a pre amp short. if that wire cn handle 40a then that is completely safe. The fuse in the amp is to protect the cars electrical system from an internal amp failure or short. As for you other question, yes you do have to calulate the displacement of the sub. most companies rate to net displacement not gross displacement.

Johannes
12-28-2004, 03:49 PM
Yes you're right... the amps fuse is 20A and the battery wire from the wiring kit is 40A.

I guess I'll get just a little bigger than 0.65 cubic ft. then, to allow for the sub.

CBFryman
12-28-2004, 06:57 PM
May i reccomend a ported enclsosure. If you are a handey type person and have some carpentry skills you can build your own, better enclosure for less money. but if you do buy pre built enclosures then do not get a ported one unless it was built for that specific woofer by a trustable audio technitian.

RickwithaTbird
12-28-2004, 07:36 PM
I dont use rockfords, so I dont know about this, but would it sound better in a bandpass box? 200 watts max is low power, plus a 10 is a small sub, so bandpass was the first thought I had. A friend of mine used a bandpass box on a 10 with about 100 watts rms, and it sounded great... I would have guessed it was 2 SQ 12s. It was, however, a package deal with the box, so maybe that wont work with the punch.

CBFryman
12-28-2004, 07:39 PM
Well your never gong to get amazing performance from that woofer. Bandpass is a funny thing. if it is peoperly designed and built bandpas is far more efficent in itsgiven frequincy range but ported has an average 3dB louder than sealed with the same given enclosure volume and is alot easyer (not as easy as sealed however) to calulate and contsruct.

Johannes
12-29-2004, 01:21 AM
Interesting... well I don't have the time/skills to make a box, and I originally wanted ported b/c more bass from less power than sealed, but it's going in the back of my Nissan Kingcab so I want it small. I was even thinking about one 8". My amp is pretty small and I got it on sale for $70 CAD, which I think is pretty good. I need it small to fit under the driver's seat. I could get bandpass but this sub says it's for small sealed enclosures.

Johannes
12-29-2004, 01:25 AM
Maybe I could get bandpass... but this sub is recommended for small sealed so would it sound good? I can still return this sub by the way so I'm just looking around for new/used boxes and then I can buy a sub according to that if I need to.

RickwithaTbird
12-29-2004, 03:05 AM
Ive got Xplods, which are also recommended for small sealed enclosures, but I put them in a dual bandpass box and they still slammed. It was very different though. The low rumbling bass disappeared, but the more punchy, sharp bass notes that I had previously not heard so well in some songs sounded great. Oh yeah, I now am running them in a huge ported box and they sound awesome. I have never had them in a small sealed box before because I never had one. I should probably build one to see if it sounds better. Speaking of that im gonna start a new thread about it.

CBFryman
12-29-2004, 09:14 AM
^^First you give praise to Audiobahn and now you are raving about Xplods??? alli can say is, wow.

How much space are you willing to give up in your nissan. My mom has a 2004 Nissan Frontier King Cab and she has a good 2.5-3.5cuft and still have use of the jump seat comfertably. Thing is she hates bass so.... But she has a Toneu cover so groceries and all could go in the bed.
If you are willing to get rid of that old woofer and get a new set up give me a price range and i can hook you up. Also, Give me the dimentions of the maximum ammount of space you are willing to give up (as in L*W*H) and i can reccomend the best suited woofer and best type of enclosure. For 100-200bucks you can usually go down to the local audio shop and have them build an enclosure to your specs. I will give you the specs but you gotta feed me a Budget and ammount of space (and dimentions) you are willing to give up. along with are you more wanting SPL with good SQ or SQ while still getting decently loud? i need to know as this will influence my woofer and amp choice.

Johannes
12-29-2004, 12:55 PM
I tried an MTX 6000 10" in a box that was 14" by 14" by 12" and it just fix in behind the drivers seat so I could still use behind the passengers seat for putting my bag, etc. The thing is it was kind of big... I don't want this thing visible... but any box I get will be visible anyways I guess. I still don't know how I will secure this box to the truck.

CBFryman
12-29-2004, 01:02 PM
brake the measuring tape out. is it a nissan frontier? if so i can just take measurements from my moms truck

Johannes
12-30-2004, 01:06 AM
It's a 1991 Nissan Kingcab pickup. Thanks for all the help.

RickwithaTbird
12-30-2004, 02:41 AM
^^First you give praise to Audiobahn and now you are raving about Xplods??? alli can say is, wow..

Im not sittin here jockin them, but for what they are, and for being recommended for a small sealed enclosure, they sound awesome in a ported box, that was the point... I never said they are the shit.

Johannes
12-30-2004, 03:37 AM
Oh yeah I hooked up my system and it's getting power and everything but the subwoofer will not pound... if I put my hand on it I can barely feel it vibrating. It's on though. I have tried two different subs in the box and two amps so I know nothing is busted... could it be my wiring? Would improper grounding cause this?

Add your comment to this topic!