Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

has anyone had this problem??

jetblack style
12-27-2004, 09:10 PM
i have a 95 blazer LT and i had a nosey wheel bearing, i replaced the wheel bearing... and i still have one occuring problem, when ever im on a snow covered road or icy road and try to break fast, i get a binding noise (errrrr sound) and i dont know what it is. only on the left hand side, it did this before i relaced the wheel bearing and after the new one is in. if anyone knows what i can do to fix this or had a simlar problem, let me know.

crazy4nitro
12-27-2004, 11:20 PM
it sounds like your anti-lock brakes coming on.
that system is directly on the other side of the firewall there behind your steering wheel. does that sound like a possibility?

slreno1217
12-28-2004, 09:19 AM
thats definatly what it is... peddfl also pulsates rite?..

jetblack style
12-28-2004, 06:44 PM
yea i def think its the abs. Should it be that loud tho? because i know when i hold the break down i relase it because i want the sound to stop or shouldnt i relase the peddle?

crazys182003
12-28-2004, 07:23 PM
Do not release the peddle. By releasing it it can mess up the computer system from what I understand. Just let the vehicle do its job. As far as how loud it is mine is like that also not sure if it should be, but it works.

slreno1217
12-29-2004, 08:17 AM
you are not supposed to release the peddal because it will then disable the abs and they can lock up instead of working as they are supposed to.. as far as the noise yes mine is loud also and everyone on this site :)

my wifes 98 venture van isnt that loud, so i think it is just a poor design for the blazer.

ricksza
12-29-2004, 03:01 PM
Check out the size of the Venture ABS compared to the Blazer and the location. On the inner fender well, the noise resonates.

crazy4nitro
12-31-2004, 07:42 AM
I have also noticed that when in two wheel drive on slick surfaces that the ABS will kick in quite a bit,so my solution is to shift in to neutral so the tranny is not pushing the truck,or simply lock in the 4-wheel drive.

ricksza
12-31-2004, 09:16 AM
If the ABS is coming on with normal stopping on dry surfaces, you may have a bad wheel speed sensor cutting out at the lower speeds. The only way to pick this up is with a scanner and sometimes only on a snapshot. It may be working normal on slick roads. You do have the same size tires front and rear, I hope. That screws up the ABS big time.

clariveros
03-09-2005, 09:16 AM
Hello,
I am think my speed sensor is going bye-bye, on my jimmy, now this only happens on cold mornings 25ºF (-3ºC) or less, it has happened about 3 times on 3 different days. What is happenig is that i can be comming of the highway and braking slowly and it is fine but when I really press the brakes to stop on the line the abs comes on and i have to press hard the peddle to stop. today it did it when i was comming out of a gas station at less than 15 mph.

Now when this happens it does not pull to any side and it is on dry surfaces, it only does it once and not anymore, on a different ocassion i have tried slamming on the brake to activate the abs but it seem to be working fine at other times, so what can my problem be???

I really hope that it is a cheap fix cuz i really dont want to spend another $350 on a wheel hub just to get a new sensor

n00dles
03-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Hi... Everyone whom has posted a reply to this thread seems to have been dead on point, for the most part, as this is my experience now.
I know the rear ABS sensor has either gone out or is on its last leg now. I evidently am not an automotive genius and although I can yank, overhual, and reinstall an engine in a matter of hours, I've had no experience whatsoever with an ABS system. Thus, I am stagnated. I cannot seem to find the ABS sensor available anywhere except for the dealership, whom has quoted a PART ONLY price @ $768.00 with harness, I KID YOU NOT. {I honestly don't think he knew of either what he, himself or I were saying. Not for the figure quoted}. Needless to say, I've bid him adieu and continued with my search, which brings me to this forum. I hope someone can assist with some pertinent feedback at the least.
-From where can I obtain the ABS Sensors without going bankrupt over a vehicle which I'd probably sell for 2-3 grand first?
-And where on the truck is the ABS sensor located? {2WD, thus it would not be in the transfer case} It doesn't appear to be on the rear wheels, unless I am overlooking it. Also allow me to add, I've changed the speed sensor {Tranny housing} thinking this were the culprit.

I duly thank you in advance,
~N.

ricksza
03-12-2005, 04:09 PM
Hi... Everyone whom has posted a reply to this thread seems to have been dead on point, for the most part, as this is my experience now.
I know the rear ABS sensor has either gone out or is on its last leg now. I evidently am not an automotive genius and although I can yank, overhual, and reinstall an engine in a matter of hours, I've had no experience whatsoever with an ABS system. Thus, I am stagnated. I cannot seem to find the ABS sensor available anywhere except for the dealership, whom has quoted a PART ONLY price @ $768.00 with harness, I KID YOU NOT. {I honestly don't think he knew of either what he, himself or I were saying. Not for the figure quoted}. Needless to say, I've bid him adieu and continued with my search, which brings me to this forum. I hope someone can assist with some pertinent feedback at the least.
-From where can I obtain the ABS Sensors without going bankrupt over a vehicle which I'd probably sell for 2-3 grand first?
-And where on the truck is the ABS sensor located? {2WD, thus it would not be in the transfer case} It doesn't appear to be on the rear wheels, unless I am overlooking it. Also allow me to add, I've changed the speed sensor {Tranny housing} thinking this were the culprit.

I duly thank you in advance,
~N.

Do you have Four Wheel Antilock Brakes or Rear Wheel Antilock Brakes? Are you sure the problem is with the rear wheel speed sensor (which is the Vehicle Speed Sensor in the trans)? Did you check for codes? I think the price quoted is for the Brake Pressure Modulator Valve (4 Wheel Antilock).

n00dles
03-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Do you have Four Wheel Antilock Brakes or Rear Wheel Antilock Brakes? Are you sure the problem is with the rear wheel speed sensor (which is the Vehicle Speed Sensor in the trans)? Did you check for codes? I think the price quoted is for the Brake Pressure Modulator Valve (4 Wheel Antilock).

Thank you for your assistance and concern. I've found the culprit which has happened to be a safety recall {#99046 B}. Unfortunately, this recall has expired on 12/1/02 {Never heard of a recall expiring before}. Thus, even though I've just purchased this vehicle 4 months ago, I would have to pay for the repair, as told to me by my local Chevy Dealer Service Center{Tom Light}. I've also been informed, by said service center, the parts would cost every bit of $1000.00 and tack on about 150.00 for labor. Needless to say, after 20+ years of being a GM man, the 4 GM vehicles I currently own are up for sale and will hit the auction block soon if necessary. Thus, unfortunately, I am now to become a sole import man. Well, atleast my BMW of 10 years now has never been in need of service other than maintenance {oil changes and nothing more thus far 'KNOCK on wood'}. If any one is interested in such a reliable vehicle, be fore warned.. If one cannot afford a 7 series, at the least obtain a 5 and nothing lower. Thank goodness they've resurrected the 6 series. Looks like the proceeds from this GM sale of mine will go toward a convertible :}. Again, thank you for your reply and concern.

BarmyScotsman
03-23-2005, 04:17 PM
The sound you are hearing is the solenoids in the ABS unit engaging and disengaging. That is how ABS works, it applies quick pulses of pressure to the brakes rather than a solid pressure. That keeps the vehicle from going into a skid. It has nothing to do with being in 4wd or 2wd. When you apply the brakes and the ABS engage, the noise is normal, and you should continue to press the pedal until you no longer need to brake. Taking your foot off the pedal will not damage the computer, if it did, you would have to come to a complete stop every time they engaged.

Add your comment to this topic!