Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starting problems with my 96 Camry

Axman49
12-27-2004, 03:08 PM
I have been having problems starting my 96 camry. I turn the Key, nothing happens. I turn the key agsin and it starts.
I have all accesories, lights and heater. I was told by a friend that it might be my starter, and that I can buy a set of contacts and fix it my self.
Im not sure if i want to do that or buy a remaf. starter.
Im looking for suggestions.

Mike Gerber
12-27-2004, 04:23 PM
To test for defective contacts inside the starter, the next time it doesn't start have someone hold the key to the start position while you go and tap the starter with a hammer. If it starts from being hit with a hammer, you have bad contacts inside the starter. It's not a difficult thing to fix. There should be posts on replacing the starter contacts. Do a search for "starter contacts" on this forum and you should find a post with the repair information. Either way the starter has to come off so you might as well try replacing the contacts first and save yourself some money. If you can't do it, you can just replace the starter with a new/rebuilt one or have it rebuilt for you.

Mike

jsinton
12-27-2004, 11:55 PM
Why don't you just buy a new one and save yourself the hassle $60 delivered.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7944136551&category=33576

Add your comment to this topic!