Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

First Time Buyer, Not Looking for the Usual

Cronjob
12-27-2004, 03:01 PM
Call me a late bloomer. I'm in my late 20s and have never driven or owned a car. While I've had a passing interest over the years, I've been out of the country most of my adult life in a place that caters taxis and public transportation over owning your own car (assuming you'd like to reach your destination in your life time).

I'm looking for some educated reccomendations that meet the following requirements:

First, I'm a big and fat son of a bitch. I'm over six feet and 400lb. I'm not going to be driving a Geo. In fact, I don't want a compact anything. I do, however, want something I can fit comfortably in. What cars should I be looking at that wouldn't cram my knees into my ears or the steering wheel into my fat gut? As an ex-wrestler and weight lifter, I'll never be small - even when I'm in shape again. So I need a car that will always accomodate a large guy.

Second, I'm a fairly alternative guy. While I'm a white collar type (engineer), people use words like "biker" and "bouncer" to describe me physically. Tall, fat, shaved, goatee, lots of black, broad shoulders. I need a car that matches me. I don't want a car that looks like everything else. I don't want to fit in with every other office-dweller in the company.

Third, something that is not high-maintanance. I'm the type of person who gets very into projects and learns everything there is about a subject and becomes quite a geek about it. But until then, I need something that doesn't require me to be spending weekends on a flat, under the car. Gas mileage is also fairly important, but completely secondary.

Fourth, in addition to comfort as far as fitting my fat ass frame, I'd *prefer* a car that is enjoyable to drive. Something that doesn't destroy your spine or blow out your ear drums.

And, finally, I'm looking to spend between $20,000 and $30,000 on a used car. I know that's not a lot, but it's what I can part with at the moment.

So what interesting suggestions do you have? Some have suggested I look at a 2004 Dodge Magnum. Black with smoked windows, nice wheels and a bit of custom work to fit my personality. I've seen some of the Magnum packages and they pack a lot of power and look nice, but there aren't many being sold used. Others have suggested a 1962-1965 Cadilac Seville. Black, smoked windows again, good rims. Supposedly very roomy (not to mention, they look damn cool). Some have even suggested that I get a nice SUV or a Jeep.

If I want something with personality for under $30k, I'm not going to be able to find that in anything modern, right? Especially if I want something roomy and comfortable. So I'm going to be looking at classic cars almost exclusively, I would presume? And, with this, am I right to assume I'll be throwing power steering (and power everything else), air conditioning and other creature comforts out the window? Do classic cars (1950s through 1970s) tend to ride comfortably?

Some people have also suggested I take a look at a rebuilt Ford Torino or even a 60's Mustang. They look great, but - again - they seem . . . small inside . . .?

There's just so much out there and while I typically know where to get started, what to start looking for and what to expect when I dive into a subject . . . I'm having a hard time getting my feet on this car thing. If I were just some kid looking for a cool looking rig to impress the girlfriend for under $5k, it'd be simple enough. I'd just hit the classified ads and buy whatever I could afford. But I have more requirements and less experience - and all help is welcome.

Thank you very much for your time and any guidance you may offer!

alphalanos
12-27-2004, 03:09 PM
reading your post made me think of a musclecar, those can definetly turn heads and are very bad ass, and they are quite roomy. with some modifications can ride very well too.

i would say SUV as well....but thats definetly boring. everyone and their moms grandma drives some suv with huge rims. you need something more unique.

so if its within your interest, i would recommend an older musclecar.

as for the creature comforts...dont expect to have them standard, but they can be installed.

Cronjob
12-27-2004, 03:35 PM
reading your post made me think of a musclecar, those can definetly turn heads and are very bad ass, and they are quite roomy. with some modifications can ride very well too.

My main concern about an older car is simply that I'm a "new driver", so I'm unsure if I will adapt well to a stick shift and lack of power steering. Of course, a real man drives a stick shift so I'll figure it out. And I'm sure almost all cars can be converted to power steering, yes? (But how costly?).

i would say SUV as well....but thats definetly boring. everyone and their moms grandma drives some suv with huge rims. you need something more unique.

I've seen some nice SUVs - but yes, everyone with a little cash has the exact same SUVs. Escalade, Explorer, Navigator... And the other ones are . . . well, less attractive (the Jeep Liberty for example - ew).

Also, I don't have a family, big dogs or large things to transport. Groceries, occasional computer equipment and the girlfriend. That's about it. Most travel would be to and from work, light cruising and the occasional long-haul trip (at least 2,000 round trip).

so if its within your interest, i would recommend an older musclecar.

as for the creature comforts...dont expect to have them standard, but they can be installed.

I'm kind of a utilitarian guy. I need a car to get me from one place to another. I don't need a refrigerator, television or voice command. Any comforts I'd like to add would probably be in the form of making the actual activity of driving the vehical easier (steering, stability, quietness) and more efficient.

I am definitely interested in a muscle car. I'm sure I'll eat it on insurance (male, new driver, muscle car) - but anything that even piques my interest the slightest has tended to be from the 50s to late 70s. Only two cars in the last five years have cought my eye - one is the Dodge Magnum and the other is the Chrysler 300c.

How much upkeep is involved with a classic muscle car though? I would imagine that it's a trade-off in some ways. I don't want to be replacing or hunting down parts on a regular basis.

I'm also interested in anyone's suggestions for specific muscle cars. I'm sure there are plenty of often overlooked cars that I should consider outside of the typical Mustang, GT, etc.

And like I say, I'm admittedly ignorant about these things still. But I have to start somewhere. If I come across as more than just ignorant - but stupid - feel free to hit me upside the head with a clue stick.

Thanks for the reply.

drdisque
12-27-2004, 04:13 PM
magnum is probably the car for you, its rather easy to drive and has plenty of space and is alot more efficient than a mid-size or Full-size SUV.

97gs-t
12-28-2004, 03:22 AM
I would get the honda cr-v if i were you , there not HUGE but it is a SUV gets great gas milage and are very reliable considering they come with the famous swap "B20" 2.0 liter engine descent power but again like you wanted very reliable and great gas milage with enought room to fit a big guy.

uranium235powered
12-29-2004, 10:39 PM
Mercedes? I'm just suggesting, but insurance might as well kill you.

curtis73
12-31-2004, 09:28 AM
Everything you've said so far makes me think of the following:

1) 9C1 caprice (cop car) or Impala SS. Hot car, big seats, serious street respect. You can get darn near perfect examples of SS's for $15k.

2) The Impala's contemporary, the Mercury Marauder. Not quite the balls of the SS, but very nice

3) A 60's -80's Cadillac Hearse. Cheap, huge, different, and the ones from the late 60's through mid 70's have the monster 500 ci engine

4) Any 70's or 80's Cadillac. Many of them go pretty cheap. There was one I almost bought that was a well-restored driver with brand new paint and flawless leather; 39,000 miles and I could have had it for $6000. Stupid me for not buying it.

5) Lincoln Town Car. Roomy, cushy, classy, nice.

Since you said mileage is of some concern, I would say steer clear of SUVs. They typically get much worse mileage for their power and size suggest. They are also not necessarily bigger despite their reputation. I don't find a full-size Tahoe or Suburban to have any more cockpit room than a Caprice, they're just higher and longer. The caprice might return well over 20 mpgs, but the 'Burb would give 15 or so.

sirsmiley
12-31-2004, 12:43 PM
im thinking jeep cherokee/liberty

although everyone has a liberty now, i prefer grand cherokees, nice and roomy yet not overly $$$$

Cronjob
01-01-2005, 02:00 AM
im thinking jeep cherokee/liberty

although everyone has a liberty now, i prefer grand cherokees, nice and roomy yet not overly $$$$

I'm definitely a Jeep fan, but more along the line of Rubicon/Unlimited. The liberties just . . . don't look right to me. They look like an attempt to make an SUV appeal to the supermarket-mom crowd. I haven't been in a Jeep for so long, but it has been very much in the back of my mind the last couple of years. They seem to retain their value and are plenty of them for sale, used.

I believe the gas mileage kind of sucks, but that's life, I suppose. :)

Add your comment to this topic!