Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Clutch Bearing

skorpi0n_sting
12-27-2004, 02:16 PM
when i release the cluctch i can hear a " tik " sound. i can feel it on my leg also. This does not happen often. The car runs smoothly. The mechanic said it is the problem with the bearing and he advised me to change both clutch and pressure plate, while replacing the bearing. please advice.
The sound could be heard if the clutch is applied and released when the engine is not running.
The car is 1996 Integra GSR (106000 miles)

casperGSR
12-27-2004, 06:46 PM
yeah sounds like it's the release bearing... generally when you buy a new clutch you'll get the pressure plate and a new release bearing with it and once the tranny is out of the car doing the release bearing takes literally two minutes to replace, jsut make sure if you're doing it yourself that you put some white lith grease on the new bearing.

skorpi0n_sting
12-27-2004, 10:32 PM
thanks for the reply, what type,company clutch & other accessories should i buy?

gsr916
12-27-2004, 10:51 PM
its only when you release the clutch? seems like the release bearing does most of its work when the clutch is being pressed in. does it sound like the tick is coming from within the engine or under your steering column or what... If it truly was the release bearing... its not crucial to replace like right away. Those fuckers can make all kinds of noises. If i didnt know any better, i would have thought a family of crickets lived under my hood once.

skorpi0n_sting
12-28-2004, 09:58 AM
yes, it is only when i release the clutch and the sound is heard from the engine compartment

casperGSR
12-29-2004, 09:05 PM
usually release bearing noise is heard once the pedal is fully depressed and goes away once the pedal is fully released, the pilot bushing/bearing is the bearing that will usually make noise as the pedal is being depressed as the clutch disc is pulling away from the flywheel, irregardless though if you're going to do the clutch most kits will come with both bearings... as far as which clutch you should chose it all depends on what type of mods you have done to your car or are planning on doing in the near future, the more performance mods you have done to the car the more of a performance clutch you should get, however if your car is pretty much stock then you can get a clutch from a local NAPA or other car parts store... if you do decide to go with an aftermarket clutch though personally I recommend clutchmaster or ACT.

integralover
12-30-2004, 05:43 PM
i'd go with ACT. and it sounds like a pilot bearing to me.

whtteg
12-30-2004, 05:51 PM
I would go with ACT as well. They have clutches that are basically stock replacement, they have a little better haolding capacity but feel the same as stock. :2cents:

skorpi0n_sting
12-31-2004, 08:45 AM
i got the clutch replaced (NAPA)- they charged me $675 for clutch set, transmission oil, labor, tax (NY)everything. did i get ripped off?
labor alone was $324.

whtteg
12-31-2004, 08:58 AM
Thats not too bad.

Add your comment to this topic!