Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Pass Key II ?

mkantrim
12-27-2004, 12:41 PM
97 Olds 88, just bought it and the "Security" light is on solid when driving. The car starts and runs fine. Any ideas for a "cheap" fix ,without having to take it to the dealer ? Thanks

HeyWire
12-28-2004, 01:25 AM
Hey, I have a 96 and mine is doing the same thing. The manual says that if its solid, the key might be dirty, but thats not right, because it is clean. I'm kinda afraid the engine is going to shut down when I'm driving. The car has been going like this for about a month though, and so far no problems for me. I'll probably never fix it unless I can do it for free. :biggrin:

mkantrim
12-28-2004, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the reply,HeyWire, I notice a lot of threads go unanswered here. Maybe we could get a petition going for all the people with Pass
Key II problems and have some sort of recall so Oldmobile fixes it for free,lol !!

back2life
01-17-2005, 08:14 PM
when the vehicle is started the pass system does a check, if something is not right it cuts on the light and deactivates the no start theft protection therfore your column can be cracked. there is a electrical contact cleaner from napa or carquest i dont remember which one! buy it and spray into the cylinder and clean the key off with it. if that doesnt work then the dealer will have to diagnose it for you

mkantrim
01-17-2005, 08:44 PM
So, in other words , if you use the wrong key,it cuts on the light and deactivates the no start theft protection therfore your column can be cracked. This to me is total crapppp !!

back2life
01-17-2005, 10:23 PM
no! using the wrong key or the right key with a bad resistor will just keep it from starting. theres a module on the firewall under the dash that reads the ohms from the chip in the key if it is not exact it will not start. the light coming on means something in the system failed the diagnosis at startup

mkantrim
01-17-2005, 10:50 PM
Yeah,sorry,back2life, just bought this car, and filled up the gas tank,and the CEL light comes on,the security light is on, there's a chiping noise around the serpentine belt,left front parking light is out, the lights come on when I don't want them on,and the left rear tail light is taped on, then on top of that there were ants in the trunk !! You can see why I am just a little perturbed. But the car runs great,and looks great. Go figure,lol

back2life
01-17-2005, 11:10 PM
autozone will pull your code for free,and the chirping noise could be a bent fan on your alternator but most likely its the water pump. bear with the olds man! my 92 is at 165000 still ticking. its had 2 water pumps 2 alternator 3 sets of brakes front and back(hard driver) a few tune ups new motor mounts 1 paint job 1 stereo system. for real though, i stick by olds ive been riding them since i started driving. check out my old school olds 88 maybe youll feel much better! sign my guestbook please! http://www.cardomain.com/id/back2life

mkantrim
01-18-2005, 10:25 AM
Thanks for your inspiration,and support Eddie ! I did check out your '72
and signed your guestbook. I'll keep you informed on my '97 . I have put on a car alarm with a built in starter defeat, and have a Club also, lotta cars get jacked around here,lol. My other car was stolen

Add your comment to this topic!