Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel Pump

Jamie78
12-27-2004, 11:56 AM
Hello All -

So on Christmas Eve I was on my way to go shopping in my 1996 Cavalier. I was on the highway and was hitting the gas, but no acceleration. Eventually it died and I could not get it restarted - despite the fact it was cranking well. I had it towed to a dealer (only place I could find that would look at it that day) and they said the fuel pump needed to be replaced. They quoted me $700. I said don't touch it.. because the car has 109K on it, and figured that was pretty high.

Now, I am not a mechanic, but I have done some rogue work on the Cavalier before. I was able to find a fuel pump - a Carter 74712 on the net (new) for $250. Would I be able to make this repair? What else would I need? What other options would any of you recommend?

Thanks for any help you can give me..

Classicrocjunkie
12-27-2004, 04:15 PM
heh... try chaning your fuel filter first. When you put the cars ignition to on.. you should be able to hear the pump going... if its not, then they are right. Try the filter first.

gonzales7727
12-27-2004, 06:28 PM
your gonna have to drain the gas tank, and u can't syphon it cause there is a screen at the bottom of the filler neck hose, drop the tank and remove all the bad shit, put a new sending unit on it and finally, if u know how install the pump.
i got a 96 z-24 and it was a good 6 hour project

Mangoamerican
12-27-2004, 11:58 PM
hah, i can do it in an hour! you might want a haynes manual though.. i have a 96 2.2 with 180k miles.. i couldnt see spending 250 bucks on a fuel pump, so i bought a new ebay fuel pump for a 92 cavalier ($25) and put it in instead, after getting the right lenght of 1/4inch fuel injector tube it works great! well.. untill my waterpump gave out and the head gasket blew.. Now i can make a fountian of antifreeze come out of my overflow tank! (little kids love it!)

Add your comment to this topic!