Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

oil pressure problem

lizyspeed93
12-26-2004, 03:47 PM
Hi, i have owned my accord since first purchase and this is the first problem i have really had with the engine, after i warm up my car and drive it, when i apply the brake for the first time, my oil pressure light will come on, but it will go out after i accelearte and continue driving. when i apply the brake again it comes on. My oil level is fine everyday, no burn, and there is no sign of leakage on the driveway or in the engine bay(very clean engine). car runs fine but fear that something is happening bad that i can not see (long term damage). Please help. thank you.

mpumas
12-26-2004, 11:19 PM
The question is do you have low oil pressure or are you seeing a short to ground when you step on the brake. The light is in series with the oil pressure switch which is located above the oil filter between the engine and the firewall. You can disconnect the wire and then drive it and see if the light comes on. If it does, you have a short. If normal, change the oil pressure switch, about 10.00 and try again. If it comes on, you will need to hook a pressure guage to the oil pressure switch hole and see what is going on. Low oil pressure could be as a result of very low RPM. worn main bearings, bad oil pump. Does it stay on with the car just idleing.?

lizyspeed93
12-27-2004, 02:50 PM
After the light does come on, it will flicker when the car is in idle, but when you accelerate it will go off. i will check on the switch thank you for your help.

mpumas
12-28-2004, 03:12 AM
What weight oil are you using? How many miles on the engine? When was the last time you changed the oil filter? I recommend changing the pressure switch because it is the next cheapest thing to do. If that doesn't fix it, you need a oil pump and/or heavier weight oil. Or maybe a new engine.

lizyspeed93
12-28-2004, 09:21 PM
i am currently using 10w-30 at a mile high altitude, 164,112mil on engine. nov 1 for oil change, there is a diagnostic place close to my home i am going to friday for a comptuer look at this. thank you for you help very much.

mpumas
12-29-2004, 03:32 AM
Its not a computer/electrical problem. If you are taking it to the shop, have them put a oil guage on the pressure side of the oil pump.

Add your comment to this topic!