Driving manual transmission while drinking soda?

brandon_k_w
12-24-2004, 11:59 PM
I have never drove a manual transmission before, and I have to learn how. I don't know if I want to buy auto or manual. I drink a lot of soda while driving my truck. Is it difficult for you guys to drive manual trans. while drinking soda? It seems too complicated for me to keep shifting gears while on the streets.

Thanks

CivicSpoon
12-25-2004, 12:23 AM
I don't recommend doing it for at least the first couple weeks while learning to drive it. It's a pain enough just learning it let alone having something hinder you like that. But it also depends on where you will be driving it. On a long road or highway it's no problem because you'll likely be in just 1 gear the whole time. But if you're on streets with lots of stop signs and lights then you might want a cup holder. What about one of those cup holders that hooks into your vents if you don't have one that comes with the car? Or putting the can between the passenger seat and the e-brake? I just think holding a can while shifting might dent that can, causing the soda to spill. But I don't think wanting to drink soda while driving should get in the way of you getting a stick shift. I got my car a little over a year ago and it's the first manual tranny car I've ever owned, and I will never go back to an automatic. Heck it's hard for me to even drive an automatic now that I've been driving my car every day for so long. Or what about just getting soda in a bottle instead of a can?

brandon_k_w
12-25-2004, 12:33 AM
thanks. the only way I'd be getting a manual is if I went with a 2005 Tacoma prerunner regular cab (only model I can afford). It comes with some cool cup holders. I see what you mean by that; so maybe I only take sips while at a stoplight, or on the highway with one gear at all time.

JBL85
12-26-2004, 09:59 PM
Soda is not good for you, but if you must drink it, and you have common sense, you can do it. I've eaten a Double Double with a milk shake while driving in the city. But i've been driving stick for 5 years, so if you learn quick go for it. I wont ever get an automatic again.

KANUNDRUM
01-04-2005, 11:15 PM
yea get a manual its better

Johannes
01-05-2005, 12:50 PM
I would recommended a standard. If you want one, don't let drinking soda come in the way. JBL85 is right, once you've learned to drive manual it's not really harder to eat or drink while driving. You can hold the drink in your shift hand... or in your lap or cup holder or whatever. Depending on the car you can make it work either way.

tacoma man.
01-11-2005, 05:27 PM
im so good at a stick i can drive, shift gears, eat and drink.

buymeabmwm3
01-12-2005, 10:18 AM
Get a beer hat, prob solved.

Johannes
01-13-2005, 12:17 AM
Good plan... put some Carnation instant breakfast in there, then that eliminates eating.

Add your comment to this topic!